Sign in to follow this  
belfastfumanchu

Changing coolant advice

Its been a couple of years since I changed the coolant and I recently had the head gasket changed. I noticed the coolant is green now and I know the G12+ stuff is pink, so it seems they have put the wrong type of coolant in after changing the gasket.

Wanting things to be right Im going to flush the system on the weekend and get the G12+ back in, but I have a quick question.

After I remove both the top and bottom hoses is it advisable to use a hose pipe to flush the system completley or just let the coolant empty out of the pipes itself?

id flush it with the hose then refill with plain water and go for a quick drive so that it flushes right through

it should be fine, G12+ is safe to mix with anything else, the stuff that's in your car is probably prefectly OK, most coolants are safe for engines with a mixture of cast iron and alloys, the main advantage of the VW stuff is it's corrosion inhibitors don't deteriorate after a couple of years like the old blue/green stuff.

I'd still do what steve says though and refill with plain tap water, and run till the rad fan comes on, then you know the thermostat has opened and the radiator has been well flushed round too.