Sign in to follow this  
boost monkey

Using mk2 golf subframe on Corrado - ffs...

Hi everybody,

Just had a thought: the mk2 golf subframe which I'm planning to pick up today and use on my Corrado doesn't have the mountings to attach the vibration damper (basically the big chunk of metal at the front of the subframe).

Can anyone see any reason why this might be a problem? I'm guessing it's to do with damping the vibrations for the steering rack as that's bolted directly to the frame.

Worst comes to worst, I might be able to take the dead raddo subframe to a welders along with the fresh mk2 item and ask them to move the vibration block mountings over? :shrug:

Thoughts welcome.

Cheers,

Jon.

Sounds like the damper is part of the NVH pack and may only be for refinement, i would be inclined to add the mounting on. May not only be column vibration its looking after.

Geoff

the corrado 16v subframe has horse shoe shaped locators for the rear bushing on the wishbone, the golf one will probably require the metal sleeves for the mounting bolt that goes through the bush. AVS have them one their website for a pic, otherwise the VW dealers, not sure GSF stock them.

those sleeves come with mk2 'bones from GSF.

the rear subframe mounts are different too: there is NO rear subframe mount holes on the mk2 subframe, the most rear mount points are just the ARB clip and bush holders.

Oh dear!

passatrearsubframe.jpg

^^ These bits sticking out past the ARB at the rear aren't on the mk2 subframe... can I still fit it? (pic is of a passat subframe, but this bit looks the same as corrado)

ReplacementARB2.jpg

This is the frame I have now. It shows clearly the lack of metal plates back past the ARB, which bolt up into the chassis... are they just for extra support? The bolts used are M10x24 so are definitely not load-bearing mounts.

Perhaps the rear wishbone mount (vertical) on a mk2 acts as the rear subframe-to-chassis mount point on each side?

Any more thoughts welcome, cheers to the guys who commented so far.

I'm guessing that as the mk2 subframes are used on a mk2 (I do a degree you know) then there's no inherent risk / engineering issue with using it on a Corrado which AFAIK is mk2 chassis based anyways?

Will keep on degreasing it and see what it looks like. Wishbone bolt holes are still galvanised and have grease in! :clap:

The powers that be and I have decided that the Corrado must have the vibration block and the extra rear mounts for a reason and as such I'm gonna prep the mk2 subframe up and then sell it on.

I got the frame, cross-member and rad support for £60 anyways so not a massive loss and can prob get £30ish for the frame after it's painted.

is the passat subframe not the same as the corrado one? the corrado is mostly a mix between golf mk2, mk3 and passat bits and the scrappies around here are full of old passats

Possibly mate, but then I was 100% sure the mk2 one was the same and look what happened :sad:

Toad says he has one I can strip and buy so I will probs take him up on the offer :cheers:

Toad says he ... can strip .... so I will probs take him up on the offer :cheers:

I had to read that twice.... :norty: :camp: :lol: