Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Dangerous/spongey brakes

Could someone tell me how you scan the ABS with VAGCOM to bleed it. Ive painted my calipers, so id taken them off losing all the fluid. Fitted the brakes back on the car and filled the brake fluid back up. Bled the calipers, but the brakes are so spongey, dangerous even. When the ignition is off or the ignition is on but the engine isnt started, the brakes feel ok. As soon as i start the car the pedal goes soft - to the floor!!!

Im assuming this is due to the abs. I cant connect to the abs via vagcom due to 'too many communication errors', why do i get that error? Also how do i go about using VAG COM to pump the abs pump?

Need help as soon as, this is my only car and leaves me without until this is sorted.

Cheers in advance. 8)

No - the MC is the thing that the brake fluid res sits on - nipple right at the front...

Ah right, its under the reservoir. Do you have to press the pedal as you would bleeding normally?

Do the abs pump first, theres 2 nipples on the top of it, then the master cylinder, and yes, exactly the same bleeding procedure as for the brake calipers.

Yup!!

I've not used VAG COM to bleed them before and the brakes were fine afterwards, but we didn't lose all of the fluid.

Ok cheers fellas! 8)

I'll give what you've said a go.

Whats the nipple that sits ontop of the gear box? The pipe that comes off the right hand side of the abs pump, it then turns into a metal pipe, loops round a couple of times, then theres a nipple. I think its next to the gear selector mechanism (??) I thought that was the abs one, but couldnt get any fluid out of it.

You really need to pressure bleed using something like eezibleed... VW have neve recommended doing it manually as you can damage the MC seals and get air into the ABS system...

If it's driveable it may be worth getting down the VW and let them do it on the proper kit...

Never managed to use Eezibleeds properly, the generic lids and washers included in the kit seem to hate our reservoirs.

Recommend taking it to VW, esp if you're not too up on the hydro system as a whole.

Right bled the abs pump and master cylinder, brakes feel alot better, but still not as they should be. Though now i can get down to the garage. Will the baised valve need bleeding or anything?

It's on the passenger side in front of the rear axle. you can cable tie it open while you bleed the rear brakes.