Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Megs Stage 2 polish issue

I've been attacking my car with cleaning products today, it's been clayed all over, washed several times and had megs stage 1 paint cleaner over it twice. I then used the stage 2 polish, went right round the car, and started to buff it off, but it would barely move, it was so stubborn I ended up using quick detailer to help soften it to remove the layer.

Any ideas on why this happened? Did I just put too much on, or was it the fact that the car was in the open in very hazy but direct sunlight, or am I simply a tard?

It's all off now, but I feel like i need a good sleep :(

Most likely a bit of both mate, a bit too much product put on in direct sunlight would be a PITA i can imagine!

Also might be what you are using to apply it with, if you apply it with a cloth you tend to apply it very thick as a lot of product sinks into the cloth and then squashes out all over the paint, you end up using too much of the product as well doing this. If you use a foam applicator or a microfibre applicator etc you will use a LOT less product so will last longer, but you will be able to apply it evenly and in less quantity making it easier to remove.

Anyway why do you need to be doing it yourself, i thought i was going to do it for you :lol:

Cool, I've been using the foam applicator pads, I think I just got a bit keen with it. Gonna take the cloobber to my other house and try to do a panel at a time in the evenings. should be able to get a couple of coats of polish and a coat of wax on easily enough then.

Been looking at the scratches and I definitely will want it machine polishing somewhen, just need to stop spending money for a month or two. ;)

Try giving the foam pads a quick spritz with the QD too, helps stop the product sinking, means less used again!

Persoanlly SRP's better than stage2 I find, but depends if on the Valver (dark) or the VR (light).

If teh valver you may want to try A/glymm UDP bettr for dark cars. Gave mine to mate with a black Ibiza and worked a real treat!

What you finishing with? Stage 3 or something else?

From what you said you did stage 2 all round the car THEN polished itoff , do one panel or 1/2 panel at a time wax on wax off stylie. if you leave it on it bakes in the sun.

My Method is

Jet wash down to rinse loose dirt

Clean wheels with Wonder Wheels (£5 for 5 litres from costco)

Wash using two bucket Method one for clean water to apply to the car and one to rinse the dirty wash mitt in.

Dry with Megs water magnet. i find two water magnets are best one for the windows and paint and one for the door checks and hinges etc.

Paint tyres with megs tyre stuff (smells like bubble gum) and leave to dry before moving the car.

Polish method

Start with Megs Stage 1 to removed old polish and residue

Clay bar with quick detailer

Use scratch X round the door handles

Stage 2

then stage 3

then polish the zorst pipe tip with Autosol.