Sign in to follow this  
Rachelb

front to rear brake pipes

I have been told I need new front to rear brake pipes (the steel ones)

Can I use copper, a bit dubious as I believe the system is pressureised on a VR6

Any help appreciated..

I have a set of front to backs that I carefully removed from a low-mileage 92K plate with ABS if they're any good? They still have their green protective paint on and are in VGC.

Yours free of charge if you can collect? They're kinda long!

I'm in Oxford :salute:

Jon

Thanks Jon,

I had my car checked in an independent garage and have be told they are fine ! !! thanks for the offer, I am in Cheshire so Oxford maybe a little far to call and collect.

Thanks

Rachelb

why did you remove them Jon? I could well be interested if you've still got them?

cheers

John

I have been told I need new front to rear brake pipes (the steel ones)

Can I use copper, a bit dubious as I believe the system is pressureised on a VR6

Any help appreciated..

Copper is the standard replacement material and is perfectly safe. And all brake pipes are pressurised when you press the pedal. :D

Apparently, the only reason (or at least original reason) that original pipes are steel is because the US has a protectionist law dating back decades, designed to protect the US steel industry at the time, which mandates that any cars sold in the US must have steel brake pipes. So all the manufacturers were forced and so decided for consistency and cost reasons to use steel in all markets.

But steel rusts. If original pipes were copper they would probably last the lifetime of the car. Rusting brake pipes is a safety issue!

Currently though, of course, copper is very expensive so manufacturers probably save money by using steel these days. Steel brake lines are very rigid and probably only suitable for fitting as a car is being built and all the other bits are not attached and in the way. It would be incredibly difficult to fit replacement steel pipes in some parts of the car because of the lack of flexibility and space to work. You'd probably end up using shorter pieces and joining them with unions, but anywhere you have a union, you have a potential point of failure.

If you are worried about the strength of copper, then you can opt for copper nickel. This is more rigid than copper, but the thickness of wall is actually a lot less, I believe. I'd just stick with standard copper. You probably end up needing to use more brake fluid with copper nickel (as the overall diameter is the same, but the wall thickness less), which might be no bad thing for heat dissipation.

In short, copper replacement brake pipes are standard, perfectly safe (if done properly, like anything else) and nothing to worry about.

I would opt for brass unions though, if you can, as they are virtually corrosion proof, unlike the steel ones you may be offered, even when using copper pipe replacements.