Sign in to follow this  
redwoodkp

vanishing coolant!!

Got in my rado to go home from work last night and got to the bottom of the road with the coolant light still flashing! No sign of any leak what so ever and the car was running near empty. Took over half a litre to get it back up to just under the max mark. This is the thing though when i left the car ticking over and drove it up and down the street it stayed at the same level. I keep an eye on the water regularly so it doesn't do this and had only checked it a few days before.

Anyone experienced the same or know what is a potential problem??

bummer! thats worst case senario, would rather no exactly where it is so then you can get it sorted no matter how much it might cost :(

Try leaving a large piece of card under the engine overnight to see where it's leaking from.

A few weeks ago mine developed a leak from the waterpump so I got that changed, unfortunately, I think there was a tiny leak on the radiator which the increased pressure from a new pump soon turned into a major leak (we're talking clouds of steam coming from under the bonnet when I got to work one day) so that had to be replaced as well.

After spending the best part of £300 on parts and labour it doesn't seem to be leaking anymore.

Hi mate,

I had the exact same problem, turned out my engine is running alittle too hot and the water was evaperating out the expansion tank/cap.....tried a new one of each no joy, so used a little ptfe tape round the thread of the cap...problem solved thank god, was expecting head gasket trouble!

Jay.

It's kinda already been mentioned, but what you might have is a COLD leak.

This happened to me. Basically, a leak will only occur when something contracts by being stone cold (overnight.) When the car is run, and things warm up etc, the right amount of pressure is restored and the leak disappears.

My particular leak was a coolant hose that goes to the thermostat housing. Randomly seems better now, but it was leaking only when the car was left for a good 12 hours or so.

The card idea works a treat, as long as the coolant doesn't evaporate before you have a chance to look ;)

water outlet flange is the problem!! Its dripping all the time and has the dry coolant scum collecting around it.

thanks for the help guys will be purchasing a new one and fitting it v soon :D