Sign in to follow this  
Rocket Ron

Heat Resistant tape for cable Harness engine compt

Has anyone replaced the tape around the cable harness in the engine compartment. Mine is all falling off going britle with age. I've tried insulating tape but when hot goes all soft. Is there proper tape you can get anywhere ie from the stealers. Want to replace it all as I've just had it steam cleaned.

Or is there an alternative.

1 Get hold of some self amalgamating tape and wrap the wires tightly in it, or it will stretch and go floppy.

2. Then consider where those wrapped wires are located and the exposure to water and heat. If the exposure is significant then enclose those wires, even if wrapped, within split corrugated conduit tubing. Use 0.5" 0.75" and 1.5".

3. You can also wrap stuff which you've already wrapped in self amalgamating tape if it is not to be covered in tubing, in fabric tape. Use the fabric tape (rayon) for the stuff which is not exposed to water or extreme heat but does need protection from chafing.

4. Be prepared with a soldering iron (and sometimes with spare vw connector plug pig tails to replace pins) to repair cable sections which have exposed copper or split insulation. If your exposed cable is showing a copper which has gone black, trace the wire further and replace the copper core where it has gone black. You'll be surprised how much you will find.

All of this stuff you can acquire on Ebay, or Maplins.

If you start this process, do it all properly. Rado bays run very hot, and protection from heat and exposure is a must if you want to avoid electrical faults.