Sign in to follow this  
alpinewhite16v

16v Clutch - hydraulic to cable

Hi all

Is it possible to change the hydraulic clutch to good old simple cable change?

Has anyone tried this ? Personally I can't see why VW would want to make it more complicated to fit a hydraulic clutch when the cable ones work well enough!!

Cheers

Marcus

I think you are getting confused matey.

The hydraulic part of the system is for engaging and disengaging the clutch: clutch pedal.

The cable change part of the system is for changing gears: gearstick.

Your corrado will have both.

If you mean whether it's worth putting an old Rod change box on from a Mk2, then no. The gear linkages are a a huge weak point: Ok for the old KR 16v, but no good for a G or a V engine.

hth,

Jon.

I think he means changing the hydraulic master + slave cylinders for a clutch cable arrangement that's used on a lot of earlier VW's.

I agree that the cable mech is brilliant for its pure simplicity. I imagine it would be a complete gearbox, pedal box, clutch and flywheel swap to actually get it to work though! The likes of cable clutched Mk2's use a completely different flywheel arrangement. i.e, not really worth it.

you can get a slave cylinder thats cable operated that fits the O2A box, parts required are about £100 but i would have no idea what pedal box you would use.

some of the early 1988- passats had a cable operated clutch I believe, on the 02A gearbox, but I'd have thought that the main reason for VW going to hydraulic was that the clutches were getting bigger and beefier and most drivers these days are softies wanting light power steering, brakes they hardly have to press and clutch pedals that are easy to press down.

Yeah thanks guys

My MK2 has a simple cable operated clutch system - I was wondering if the complicated hydraulic one could be bypassed - obviously as has previously been mentioned - people want all this fly by wire/easy to use stuff - hence the need for hydraulics - hence the increased possibility of things going wrong...

Thanks anyway