Sign in to follow this  
newVWguy

newby questions

i just bought a 1990 corrado. the engine runs well, but it has a couple issues because the last owner just drove it and didn't work on it. the first issue is that the steering has a good deal of play in it. i am not sure where to start. the car has 140000 miles. where is a good place to start, as i am not very familiar with the steering system.

where is the play?

up&down = worn or broken height adjuster mech or locking pin fallen out.

up&down and side to side = steering column bushes/bearings worn out or column not properly bolted on (unlikely)

rotational = could be lots of things, loose steering column to lower universal joint pinch bolt, lower universal joint to steering rack pinch bolt, worn out lower universal joint, worn out upper universal joint (new column time), worn out track rod ends, worn out inner track rod joints (usually come with new track rods)

loose steering rack mounting bolts and the most expensive one a worn out steering rack.

I would start by checking the pinch bolts are all tight as it's free, and then change the track rod ends and maybe track rods as they are pretty cheap.