Sign in to follow this  
C. Will Corrado G60 2

Stress bars and sway bars

Ok, I've been thinking of adding some lower stress bars/sway bars and have found two types of upgrades stress bars and sway bars (are these the same) and it not clear to me what's better.

I have 1991 G60, VR6 conversion with Koni Coilovers, Eibach upper front strut and GB upper rear strut and have read that if you add too much stifness to the front of the car you get understeer.

Is this right? Does anyone know anything about these upgrades or have a set-up similar to mine with either option.

Cheers

Sway bars are an american term for anti-roll bars, I think stress bars are another phrase for the strut braces you already have? Is it the lower brace you're after? The one that goes between the wishbone mounts on the front subframe.

Sway bars are an american term for anti-roll bars, I think stress bars are another phrase for the strut braces you already have? Is it the lower brace you're after? The one that goes between the wishbone mounts on the front subframe.

Thanks for clearing that up, too many names for one thing.

Yes, I'm looking for lower strut bars that go between the wishbones.

Yeh I think you can get them to fit an A2 chassis, can't remember where I saw one though. Most ones you see are for A1's as they benefit from them alot, just put one on my mates caddy feels alot stiffer and alot less vauge at the front.

Its not so much as going too stiff as such on the front that gives you the understeer, its when the front is stiffer than the back that does it.

Go stiffer on the front so then you need to go stiffer on the back with a good balance between them, so going way stiffer on the back and leaving the front will give you oversteer too.

Its not so much as going too stiff as such on the front that gives you the understeer, its when the front is stiffer than the back that does it.

Go stiffer on the front so then you need to go stiffer on the back with a good balance between them, so going way stiffer on the back and leaving the front will give you oversteer too.

Thanks, I've been reading about this and you are very right. As my car is not my daily driver it's getting a set-up which is all about handling and performance. At last it's become my bit of fun at the weekend and I won't have my wife complaining about the ride!