Sign in to follow this  
blackcorrado

clutch peddle HELP!

while driving my corrado today it developed a weird thing where the clutch peddle wont come back off the floor on its own, i have to pull it up with my foot, which means i cant get it out of gear ect.. its so bad now i cant relly drive it because when i come to a stop its still in gear.

whats causing this? anyone else had this problem, how do i fix it

Probably your clutch master cylinder / slave cylinder has given up the ghost. :(

Well, first of all check the level of the fluid in your brake fluid resivoir, to see if the system is physically leaking fluid.

Check the flexible hose that goes to the slave cylinder ontop of the gearbox for leaks, then check the underside of the gearbox for fluid leaks at the clutch/flywheel housing end. that would suggest the slave cylinder is dead. It could also be the clutch master cylinder that's gone though.

I'd recommend getting either the master of slave cylinder from VW. But they are available in the likes of GSF:

71681 CLUTCH MASTER CYL-BQ CO >7/91 81.50 Add

71681C CLUTCH MASTER CYL-ATE CO 93> 87.50 Add

71689 CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER-FAG CO 9/88 > 44.60 Add

71689A CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER CO 9/88 > 31.25 Add

In addition to Dec's advice, run your hand along the rubber piece of clutch hydraulic line to check for weeping. The rubber can become porous, which means that it can allow air to enter the fluid, although not enough fluid will seep out to form drips, which is why you have to rub your hand on it and see if it is slightly moist... The other way to do it is to bleed the clutch slave, then master, and then slave again, and if you still have froth coming out, your rubber hose is shot (like mine was :( )

Good luck!

so how do i tell if the master has gone

If you bleed the master cyl and either no fluid or lots of bubbles continue to come out, your master is shot.

just picked up a VW slave cylinder, got the old one off and it fell apart in my hand and there no way that the original pipe is coming off, very rusted, dont look to good either. so im just gona replace it, where do i get one from?

Get the metal+rubber pipe (the one with the spiral in it) from VW, but before that, try to loosen up the 'rusty' union with a wire brush and some lubricant (like Plusgas), as that may just save you a few quid.

Hmm, that's a shame that the slave and pipe are both broken. :roll:

I wouldn't risk putting a second-hand pipe on, just get a new one from VW - think they may have used the same part on much later cars, so not hard to get hold of, and not insanely expensive, if I remember well.

Good luck with the swap-out, good news is that the bleed will take you longer than the fitment of the actual parts :)

Are you miles away from a dealer, or are they very unhelpful?

If so, I would be willing to order you one from my local, and post it to you. You'd get my usual discount minus postage costs. Let me know.

there useless! :lol: i had to buy two diferent powersteering belts because they didnt know which one fitted my car.

how much do you get the pipe for mate?

I'll give Dave a call... (He's the really helpful guy at VW Kidlington) :clap:

Just need to know your VIN ideally, or your model year and engine at least, just in case there is any variation in part codes (although VAGCAT indicates it is the same part - 357721465A - for all years and models of Corrado).

OK, price would be £32.25 inc. VAT and discount, but the postage to you would be additional.

My bro does lots of business on ebay, so will check with him on the best way to post it. Whereabouts are you?

Oh! If you are ordering one for blackcorrado from your local dealers would it be at all possible to order me one at the same time? :oops: (I'm suffering from useless local dealers here)

:lol: Yes, of course, that's fine Dec

I'll need your address and will let you know postage before I order the hose :wink:

I have Paypal, which should be fine for the payment side of things. Dave reckons on a 2 day turnaround for that part unless it is more urgent, when they can often do next-day if ordered before 1pm...

:notworthy: legend! Cheers!! 8)

I'm not in a massive rush, so it's not a big prob if mine takes a bit longer. I'll pm you my address.

Just let me know the total, including postage and paypal fees etc, and I can get that sent straight over to you!

Thanks again! :cheers:

No probs dude :wink:

Perhaps I should open up a shop in the Suppliers Forum :grin: :lol: :nuts:

Will PM with final costs and Paypal details for your approval :salute:

i need mine very urgently mate, my corrado is my runabout while im rebuilding my other cars engine, and at the mo i cant get about to work ect..

so if you could order me one asap that would be great.

i need mine very urgently mate, my corrado is my runabout while im rebuilding my other cars engine, and at the mo i cant get about to work ect..

so if you could order me one asap that would be great.

blackcorrado and Dec - you have PM! :clap:

One hose already ordered for bc as he's in a hurry - will arrive tomorrow morning :salute:

Can order the other for Dec whenever.

All costs and instructions in the PM :wink: