Sign in to follow this  
Deggsy

Help needed!

Hi all,

Got a real pain of a problem at the moment and hoping someone can help.

Had a mishap recently that required e getting a new bonnet and hinges - thanks to the guys on here, lifesavers and greatly appreciated. Now the C has decided to kick me in the nuts again!

My bonnet cable has snapped leaving the passeger side part of it accesible through the grill (and can therefore get the passenger side of the bonnet to release) but it snapped while I was trying one of the tips on Wiki (removing fuse box cover and using pliers - ended up puling the entire cable from the driver side release catch through into the car!!!)

Have tried all the other tips on Wiki to no avail - probably doesn't help that I'm not the greatest 'with spanners'.

The biggest problem is that this happened while I had the battery out to charge - and therefore can't even get it to a garage, so I'm a bit up the creek here!

Called out a mobile mechanic who wanted to either

a - smash my headlight out (don't really want to go down that road)

b - Cut a whole in the bonnet!!! (again not a road I want to go down)

So, is there anyone on here that can either give me anymore tips/advice other than that on Wiki?

Or, is there anyone local to me (in and around Edinburgh) that has done this before and wants to earn some cash. Really its a case of name your price, just want it sorted.

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Cheers,

Deggsy

Hi Deggsy, have you managed to get this sorted yet?

If not let me know and I will pm you my husbands phone number. We are not that far from Edinburgh, but he is pretty sure he can tell you over the phone how to sort it.

You can actually get your hand in through the hole where the front grille was and pull the release arm with your fingers. It's pretty tough to move and will result in a few scuffed knuckles, but has to be better than a hole in the bonnet or a smashed headlight.

Alternative is to get a bit of flexible wire and loop it through the release arm to pull it that way. Will take a lot of patience and a torch to get it around the lever though, but I have had to resort to this way once before.

Thanks for the suggestion and offer of help - Jules, still not got this fixed yet so your hubbys number would be great. Will PM you in a second

Cheers,

D

If you have the front grill off the car then it's a doddle to get the bonnet open.....PM me if you need details