Sign in to follow this  
.A.N.T.

16v Airbox pipework question

Following on from the issues with the car starting over the last couple of days (complete refusal to even think about it) I had a once over in the engine bay and noticed that down by the airbox there's a pipe, 1.5" in diameter that comes out the back of the airbox and goes through a sensor and up into the air intake. What is this, as it was disconnected at the airbox end. Would this stop the car from starting? No idea how it came off though as I'm sure it was on last time I was in there...

Cheers,

Ant.

That's the overrun/deceleration cut-off valve.

Yup, it'll definitely affect the running of the car if it's unplugged or the pipes are loose. Happened on one of my old valvers once, and the car really struggled to keep running, and would take quite a bit of throttle use to get it started in the first place!

Thought it was quite coincidental that I connected it back up again and the next day it started...

Hmm...

Following on from the issues with the car starting over the last couple of days (complete refusal to even think about it) I had a once over in the engine bay and noticed that down by the airbox there's a pipe, 1.5" in diameter that comes out the back of the airbox and goes through a sensor and up into the air intake. What is this, as it was disconnected at the airbox end. Would this stop the car from starting? No idea how it came off though as I'm sure it was on last time I was in there...

Cheers,

Ant.

can you get a picture up of that pipe? its just that mine is really struggling to start & needs loads of accelerator pedal to get going & when it does start it just cuts out, so im looking into all my options, should be getting a isv very soon to eliminate that out from the list.

Not the clearest of pictures, but this is the diagram of it off vagcat.

cheers for that, ill try and have a look but its not easy to follow those broken down pics but ill give it a try.

If you look out the back of the airbox there's a hole, about an inch and a half in diameter that should have a pipe on it.

That's the overrun/deceleration cut-off valve.

Hi

Any idea how it works and what its function is.

It has an electrical connection. Is this a power feed to an electrical solenoid inside? If so can we hear it working as we can an ISV.

Thanks in advance.

ANT thanks for the lovely photo.