Sign in to follow this  
dizzydubbers_missis

Who takes their corrado on track days?

This is the plan for my vr, used to take my mk1 but wanted something a bit bigger and more comfortable. Just wondering really what suspension sets up would be best for track use? Also the rear wheels are 9" wide, what will they do to my handling?? Any help gratefully recieved.

Out to the Ring in mine in August, i guess that counts! :lol:

Think ive tracked every car ive owned in the last 15 or so years apart from a couple....

The only real 'track' action mine has ever seen is on the Nurburgring - talk about throwing myself in at the deep end. Did one lap about as quickly as I dared - it was absolutely brilliant. Would love to get it onto some tracks here in the UK but think the lack of power would make for an embarassingly slow performance.

Get out there again Jim,

I still a bit of a Ring novice, 3rd time out there and probably 30 laps or so total but it get better the second time around, i actually remembered pretty much all of the circuit, now im not saying i new perfect lines,braking or clipping points with such a low lap count but i began to feel i could string together a fairly tidy lap towards the end of our second visit in the 540i we bought between the 3 of us.

Car owed us 1200 quid betwen 3 of us, it was a very rare E34 540i/6 spd manual, thats the way to do it if you want a cheap track hack, get a couple of mates to split the cost.

In the end one of the three, my mate Luke bought 2 of us out and kept the car.

We got 300 quid back each after Germany so cost was 100 quid each, Luke got an absolute stonking car with loads of work done on it (we since done loads more!!).

I couldnt have taken my 328 Sport out there for that when you factor in tyre wear etc....

Oh yes it was a beast!

DSCF0072-1.jpg

Looks like this now:-

BWBMW540iRear.jpg

i did track days in my old mk2, will be in the 'rado once it's running. Check my thread in members cars for progress.

anyone planning on going to castle combe at the end of July for the autometrix day? (26th iirc).

i did track days in my old mk2, will be in the 'rado once it's running. Check my thread in members cars for progress.

anyone planning on going to castle combe at the end of July for the autometrix day? (26th iirc).

I'm going to castle combe on 26th july. My hubby is taking his rallye and i am taking my C, both planning a full day on the track.

This is the plan for my vr, used to take my mk1 but wanted something a bit bigger and more comfortable. Just wondering really what suspension sets up would be best for track use? Also the rear wheels are 9" wide, what will they do to my handling?? Any help gratefully received.

Frankly the best thing to do is just take the car to the track as it is now, and work out what you want to do to it depending on how it feels on the track. Inevitably the kind of spring rates that are nice on the road feel way too soft on a circuit, but I wouldn't spend too much on it until you've run it or unless you have a very clear idea how you want to set it up (which would kinda make the question pointless wouldn't it!).

I suspect that with 9" rears the car won't do anything but understeer at the limit, but you may also get rubbing unless your clearances are big enough. Also depends a lot on what you have fitted at the front and the quality of the rubber you're using. If the tyres are 215s stretched over 9" rims you'll need to check the edges of the tyres during the day (you should be checking the rubber after each run anyway) because that's where the heat build up strips the rubber first on stretched tyres.

For reference I run Koni coilovers with adjustable dampers (firm at front, fully soft at rear), polybushed suspension, strut braces both ends but I have kept the standard anti-roll bars. In my view the Koni coilovers negate the need to upgrade the ARBs, but that's a personal preference. The main thing you want to dial out is the standard car's dive/diagonal pitch under braking as there's nothing that kills good, consistent laps like the rear end jigging around trying to overtake you under braking. You also don't want the smell that comes with those kinds of moments.

Anyway I won't give you all the secrets - where would the fun be in that? Can't have you overtaking me & stuff... :)

HTH,

John

John gives very good advice there.

Try to get on a half day session somewhere or the Coombe day to do a shakedown of the car as is.

I did a CC action day in my 20vt and a full day at Croft which highlighted some things i wanted to sort before i went to Germany.

No point spending money on stuff if its perfectly ok on track as is.

I'm also planning to get the Corrado out for the VAG trackday at Combe in July. Haven't had it out on track since Abingdon last year; might get the springs uprated beforehand, as it's running standard (new-ish) VAG VR6 springs all round on Koni adjustables. I need to quell a little bit of understeer when squeezing on the power out of high-speed corners. Played a lot with tyre pressures and damper settings at Abingdon, but JonRB reckoned stiffer springs would be the next logical step. A Quaife ATB would be great, but my wallet disagrees at the moment!

Hopefully see some of you on-track at Combe!

I plan to take mine on track days eventually.

My mate Luke works at Jobbasport and used to take their Corrado on track days...i think this is him driving but this is the Corrado anyway :D

I've tracked mine at Snetterton a few times. I always go when it's an open pitlane, instead of sessions. This gives you the freedom to do a few laps at a time whenever you like.

I'm doing suspension before castle combe for sure and strutt braces. The previous owner cut a coil off the standard springs and its hidious. Corners ok but sounds hidious, and its very hard and bumpy. I just wouldnt feel safe on the track. I know coilovers and strutt braces are the typical things that make an improvement on the track. Once i've run it on the track this year i'll get working over the winter to impove it even more.