Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Virtually No Power! Sorted!

Ok here's the situation.

Drove to leeds about 45 mins. Absolutely perfect!

About 6 hours later set off to go back home.

Had real problems starting, idling was iffy and it cut out a few times. If I pressed the accelerator fully nothing happened, the only way I could get it to rev at all was to blip the throttle quickly.

After a few minutes like that it stabilised a bit but the idling was still lumpy, we decided to set off to see how it was.

For the whole journey back it was like I'd left the hand brake on or something! Pressing the accelerator fully or partially didn't make a difference as you'd expect. I could only just gradually speed up. Any sort of incline almost killed it and the revs fell off. In parts it probably looked like a new learner driver was driving, with it been jerky! On a particular steep hill I had to drop to 1st and crawl up!

Another thing I noticed was that when pressing the accelerator fully/a lot, everynow and then I'd hear a metallic 'ping/ding' followed by a brief jerk.

The exhaust was slightly louder than normal, more boomy but in a normal sounding way. When I stopped there was a lot of pinking coming from the exhaust as if it was very hot, the plastic centre tunnel in the cabin (where the handbrake is) also felt as if I'd been on a m-way for a few hours, warm. Oil and water temps were normal.

It's getting serviced on thursday, so its been a while. On previous occasions if it's been a while between services I've noticed that a couple of spark plugs were black/oily, usually no.1. If a spark plug or 2 were knackered could they cause this type of problem?

Going down hill sounded perfectly normal (on overrun) if that helps.

Hmmm, sounds like the timing could have jumped few teeth. Have you had the timing chain tensioner changed? Doesn't sound good dude...

No, nothing since Jan has been done to the car. Sits in the garage and comes out weekends.

If it is this timing chain thingy, what then?

Oh, and it got slightly more responsive the higher the revs if that tells you anything?

what engine is it? my 2.0 16valve had simillar problems, But you had to hold the accelerator pedal down fully to start it & it would cut out when you let off the revs, got told it could be the idle controll valve, changed that & it was still the same, had the RAC come & look at it he unplugged the cold start sensor & it ran like a dream, the patroll man says the problem could be down to the temp sensor.

Is possible I suppose but that was proven to be working fine in January when I had a new ECU put in.

Bloody thing!

Get it VAG-COM'd mate as first step - might not be anything too serious and might show up on there!

sounds like a problem i had once with an old car and it was due to the timing, a tensioner had come loose, lucky it didn't do anything to the engine

could be loads of things, im sure i've heard similar when the cat has collapsed

A few pics of the exhaust, possibly the culprit? Almost seems scorched at the tailpipe, wasn't like that before. Also a bit hanging down in the middle!

exhaust01.jpg

exhaust02.jpg

exhaust03.jpg

exhaust04.jpg

exhaust05.jpg

i've had a broken up cat before car ok on light throttle soon as yoy floored it that was it no power.

lift the car and bang the cat with your hand if it rattles cats gone

The thing hanging down is a broken exhaust rubber. not the end of the world, and it looks like it's been running pretty rich with the thick soot on the tailpipe.

Well the garage has rung up with what the problem was (got it serviced there too).

Turns out a spark plug (1) was fouled up!

All those issues and it was a dodgy spark plug!

Still, I was expecting a new cat & exhaust so v happy about the cost! :)