Sign in to follow this  
aclwalker

Front ABS sensor tip.

All, I've just replaced my driver's side front ABS sensor. While it was a total PITA to do, since I've done the passenger side one twice, it wasn't all that difficult. You just need to make sure that you destroy the old one completely while removing it as it will not come out otherwise! Remember to clean up the hole well so that the new one will go in.

Which brings me on to the main tip. The driver's side sensor and the first replacement of the passenger side sensor were both destroyed by the corroded ABS ring rubbing on the sensor tip and wearing it away. As steel rusts it expands and it can expand enough to touch the sensors.

If you are replacing front brake pads then it would be a good idea to file off any rust on the ABS ring on the side that faces the sensor, to prevent premature failure. My first replacement on the passenger side died prematurely because of this touching.

I may have put the replacement sensor in too far (this is actually possible, as the sensor is bolted on to the side and the plastic has some flexibility to allow you to push slightly too far), but I also noticed that the ring was distorted slightly.

So, take the chance to correct any distortion with a hammer and remove the corrosion with a file/screwdriver.