Sign in to follow this  
niggelvr6

IN CAR PC PROJECT

ok all i have been thinking about doint this for a while now and as i have done the work to the car and it will now never be put back to standard again i have taken the plunge

i have now built and fitted a full in car pc system

involving the following : in car voom 2 base unit with custom car psu

7" wide screen touch pannel vga monitor

intergrated into existing i.c.e

the pc can run a in car front end software ie centrafuse or street deck ect

also vag-com

itunes

usb tv

it has all my midea stored

all housed in boot and custom dash fitting

is the pond liner staying? or work to be done on the custom dash bit?

i had some good pics of a friends one, he made the pod, mount dash bit from fibreglass and it came out pretty tidy

hi all thanks for the comments

yes the bit around the screen is leather it is a temp fill at the moment till i work out a better plan i have quite a tight space to work with and want the screen to sit at the level it is

recessed in so i can create a blank pannel to cover it if left in dodgy places maybe with some fake dial faces on or something not saying where i live is bad or my car security is poor cos its most deff not but i have allways been of the vue that they cant be tempted buy what they cant see!!!!

i think maybe a fiberglass hand crafted surround with a usb socket or two sunk in so i can plug a memory stick with updates and more media ect but for the moment the messy bit is hidden by the leather and its got a blank leather covered pannel for night time !!

thanks for posting the picks they are usefull to see others ideas any one also done this in a corrado would be good to see thee ideas

there was a guy recentely from the US of A that had made some kinda custom dash, looked very well done

i could have a carputer but my monitor is a kenwood like yours and means i would have to have a second screen which i cba with really lol. looks really good tho mate!

what pc you got running, did you get one of those little 12v power pack things from ebay with the safety features all built in :D mate of mine has pc in his car and its handy, make sure you get a wireless connector for it so you can hook it up to the network at home and send more music and pics across :p

hi thanks for the replies

the of has a specific psu for this kind of purpouse

it is 12v and turns the pc on when it get both a feed from the battery and the 1st switch ignition and then when the key is pulled out it will shut down the pc propperly the after a min it kills the 5v rail that is allways active on a normal pc

And I have a wierles thing for updates ect

I'm also thinking of rigging up a second connection with a mains psu so I can just run a mains cable out from the house and the whole pc system can run so I can do bigger updates without having to worry about my battery