Sign in to follow this  
philvr6

Starting Problem

Hi , when I turn the key to start my '95 VR6 the engine starts for two seconds and cuts out. Whats puzzling is that when it starts It revs up easily without any kind of miss and then just dies. This occurs mostly when the weather is hot or sunny ,I can sometimes try to start it ten times until its ok and keeps running.

I know that the ignition switch is a bit dodgy which might be the problem, or it might be the Clifford Concept thats installed on it.

I changed the blue sensor thinking it may be that and the ignition leads and plugs

Should I go for the ignition switch to try to solve this or might anyone have other ideas

This is quite embarrassing and certainly annoying at times :scratch:

Usually corrosion to the connection to the reader coil causes this (starts for 2 secs then dies) - use the search to find a simple remedy...

I would change the ignition switch, ecu and FP relays anyway tho if they are 12 years old.

Check fuse no16 (15 amp)

Mine did the same thing recently after the glovebox bulb shorted out.

Was a quick and cheap fix for once

Thanks for that but the fuse is ok.

I took the plastic covers of the steering column to expose the reader coil , isn't it a ring shaped device the around ignition barrel ? so I followed the thick black lead from it to under the dash and unplugged the small plug tha goes into a box,It looked ok but sprayed some WD on it just incase. the problem seems to have gone for now.

I also found a small switch under the steering column (see pic) Does anyone know what it might be for?? its about an inch long and has two wires going into a loom

DSC00231.jpg