Sign in to follow this  
Cnut

Labour costs + anything else worth doing

I'm planning on getting a local garage to install my schimmel 263 cams and change the tappets at the same time. I was thinking about getting both engine mounts + the gearbox mount changed at the same time. Is there anything else worth changing whilst the engine is out? and what sort of labour cost should I expect?

Cheers

Phil

They won't be taking the engine out to change the cams dude, just the manifold and top cover off...

You want a cam cover gasket, camshaft oil seals, the upper inlet gasket and also ones for the throttle body plus maybe some new bolts.

Would they not take the engine out to do the mounts? Mainly gaskets then which hopefully aren't too expensive!

Nope. Mounts can be done with the engine in situ - just with some crafty jacking of the engine at strategic points so that the mounts can be removed, then the engine dropped back onto the new mount.

Nope. Mounts can be done with the engine in situ - just with some crafty jacking of the engine at strategic points so that the mounts can be removed, then the engine dropped back onto the new mount.

I didn't know that! how much should i expect to pay for labour?

i think i got billed 2 hours labour or just under for the front and gearbox mount.

If they know what they're doing, I'd say it should be a 45 minute job max.