Sign in to follow this  
winchbietch

Intermittent poor running vr6

Hey i have just recently fully rebuilt my 93 vr6 engine.

Im currently still bedding in the engine :sleeping:

But:

Recently its started to idle roughly when it is in the higher temp range with almost a missfire.

Also

If you turn off the engine and later start it, the car imediately cuts out and wont idle. You can drive the car still but with revs, when you come to a junction etc.. it cuts out.

Cutting out is intermittent but is getting more common.

I was thinking mabie a fuc***d temp sensor to control ecu fuel mixture, If so which sensor? Am i barking up the wrong tree?

Any ideas?

Ive got to clear the fault codes still from the rebuild but havn't the time to mess about with pluggig in and reading faults

You need to make the time then, trial and error isn't the way to fix a VR6 :)

Could be the MAF I suppose, sounds a bit like mine when it went tits up.

Hey, long time coming but got round to pluging car in.

Cleared all faults but only had manifold temp sensor fault back, changed sensor but fault still reocurrs.

Traced wiring in engine bay and went through checking for breaks in wiring etc...

But Problems are : down on power, missfire , black smoking, intermittent lumpy n jerky operation, Idle from 1500rpm - 0 regularly, the cutting out when trying to idle is more common, usually when warmed up.

Ive removed the icv and cleaned it, felt like it ran bit better for a bit but all faults still happenin and the intermittent problems seem to be daily.

Checked all hoses and connections for leaks, none found.

checked crank sensor for any debris etc, nothing visual,

Have new plug leads on way but any ideas? apart from buying a new maf to see if things change or new cam sensor.

Sorted the b***h, blue temp sensor. :clap:

Ran engine up to operating temp, dissconnected sensor and bridged it, ran it for while till engine note changed runs smooth with no black smoking. test run and all good, under powered but expect because its running v lean. Will have to reconnect it to start it tommorrow mornin but ordering a new sensor tommorrow.

The manifold temp sensor error could be that you've got it and the black temp sensor plugged in back to front.

Well changed the sensor and it ran smooth without cutting out.

Down on power but no black smoking, but within a day its gone all gone t**s up. Back cutting out, miss firing etc..

Plugging it back in tommorrow and see what other joys it spits up.