Sign in to follow this  
Traverse

Very strange spoiler situation

Okay, I have my spoiler on my Corrado that doesn't work.

We've tried multiple relays, all tested and they're good. Tested two different switches and they all have good continuity and whatnot. We can run the motor by itself off the switch (without the arms attached), and the motor is fine. We can take the entire mechanism (arms and all) and hotwire it off of the battery and everything works, it doesn't bind or anything.

But as soon as we plug it into the wires on the trunk hatch, it doesn't work. We can run the motor through that plug and it works fine, and I tested everything else as I mentioned earlier and there was no fault. I've tested it and it gets 12v everywhere that it should.

What's going on?

have you tested the earth path ,using a test lamp to test for 12volts feed mean you nomaly clip the lamp to another earth point , also would think your testing lives etc with hatch open sometimes the harness is broken and loses 12v when the the hatch is closed because it bends at a different angle

Rob

Sounds like a microswitch problem (within the mech) but only when installed in the car! - strange!

That's what we thought at first. We took it apart and tested the original switches and found out that one of them was bad, so we pulled two more out of another motor that we tested to operate fine.

Micro switch!!!!! Not hijacking your thread dude as this may be relevant!

I have just completely stripped my spoiler out today, as it got stuck up and would not decend (even by using the overide butterfly)

Now i have 100% pin pointed the problem on mine :clap: which was a severely jammed cable tube on the left hand ram, it was seized solid with gunk and dirt and rust! and took a fair bit of persuassion with a vice and big hammer and plenty of wd40 and engine oil to free it up, but it now glides like silk :grin:

But............on reasembly the spoiler now goes up on the switch (not tried it at road speed yet) but it will not decend on the switch (but does on the butterfly manual overide on the mech) now whilst it was apart i cleaned and proved all electrical parts work, well all except the 2 little micro switches in the cable guide part of the motor housing!

My thoughts are this, my motor works A1, the cable tubes are free as a bird, all electrics must be getting to the spoiler or surely it would not go up? so im thinking that its the "down" micro switch which has either burnt out, or got stuck in some way, i should have paid more attention to them!!!

has anyone else had this problem before? these little switches could well be why yours is not operating at all, i have checked my tailgate loom as best i can and neither the blue/white or the green/white wires which go to this part appear damaged in any way, I am expecting another complete proven working spolier mech in the post today or tommorow so hopefully i can rob the switches out of that one and see if it makes a difference? hopefully it will

And to be honest the removal of the spoiler was an absolute doddle, it only took me about 20 mins to remove it and about the same to put back after it was all cleaned and freed up, and atleast if nothing else i can now raise or lower it by hand :lol: