Sign in to follow this  
Roger Blassberg

Vehicle Identity Check

How many people know about this?

About 18 months ago, an idiot ran into the back of our '94 Passat at the traffic lights - a complete "open and shut case" of 3rd party blame. We notified our insurer, and they stated that the damage repair cost was more than the value of the vehicle and that it was declared to be a Category C write off. The damage was a destroyed rear bumper and minor dents and scratches to the rear hatch door and wing. The door opens and shuts perfectly so there is no distortion to the shell. (The car is perfectly serviceable and has passed 2 MOT's in the meantime.)

So I reluctantly withdrew the claim (another long story, not worth repeating) and found a 2nd hand bumper and rear door for next-to-nothing. I had the rear bumper sprayed the right colour and fitted it myself; the rear door is only slightly dented and the scratches are negligible, so the original remains in place and the spare sits in ("clutters up", according to Mrs. B ) the shed, awaiting the next opportunity for me to demonstrate my mechanical expertise.

This was all 18 months ago.

The car is due to be taxed at the end of June. I received no reminder from Swansea, so I rang them. They said that it needs a VOSA Vehicle Identification Certificate, otherwise I can't tax it again. So, there is a form to fill in, a fee of £36 to be paid, an appointment miles from home to be met at an inspection, and only then can I tax the car!!

It's all to do with preventing the fraudulent hijacking of vehicles' identities by "ringers". It's a good idea, but very badly publicised.

Be aware of this. It's very inconvenient and incidentally another way for "Them" to get their hand into your pocket. If you have had a Cat.C write-off repaired, you'll need this VIC before you can re-tax your car. I now have to rush around like a mad thing to get this all organised before the end of the month.

In today's world, where we are all encouraged to re-cycle and be more responsible in the use of raw materials and resources in other aspects of life, it seems to me that the whole system is strongly biased towards throwing away cars which have been lightly and cosmetically damaged but which remain perfectly sound and useful. Just because it is 14 years old doesn't mean that a car is only worth a few percent of its original value. The irony is that it would probably realise five times the write off value if broken up into parts and sold piecemeal.

Best wishes

RB

RB