Sign in to follow this  
stevef182

really annoying noise/rattle, help please!

ok, in short, got my car fitted with a de-cat pipe a while back, since then it has been making a noise that can only be described as similar to an aerosol can rattle kinda noise, and it can only be heard when moving when you give it some gas..thought it was pinking for a while but its not..any ideas what it could be!

every time i ask someone they sort of pass it off as if its a problem that isnt really a problem, but to me it is, coz its doing my head in!!!

hi

i put a d cat on my vr and it made a sort of not a blow noise but an empty exhaust noise when putting my foot down , i dont think they like the straight pipe in the front , i ended up putting the cat back on is it turns out that the cat i took off was a steel pertformance cat , so the car ran exactly the same with out it so on it went and the noise disapeared and the exhaust sounded like a quality item again , not like an old peugeot 205 they made the noise too.

so maybe i should consider looking into getting a performance cat??...to be honest i didnt even know they existed..could it be anything else????

Apparently the sports cats don't flow that much better than a std cat, but then again it will prob be cheaper than a VAG replacement!

hi

i put a d cat on my vr and it made a sort of not a blow noise but an empty exhaust noise when putting my foot down , i dont think they like the straight pipe in the front , i ended up putting the cat back on is it turns out that the cat i took off was a steel pertformance cat , so the car ran exactly the same with out it so on it went and the noise disapeared and the exhaust sounded like a quality item again , not like an old peugeot 205 they made the noise too.

yeah i get that same noise now ive had the 6 branch fitted. Apparently the noise will go once the carbon deposit builds up a bit?

Apparently the sports cats don't flow that much better than a std cat, but then again it will prob be cheaper than a VAG replacement!

your standard cat flows on average 100 cfm a high flow sports cat flows on average 400 cfm theres a load of difference in them , but the most performance gains are to be had with a turbo car , but an n/a car will have a difference but not as great.

C F M = cubic feet per minute

hi

yeah i get that same noise now ive had the 6 branch fitted. Apparently the noise will go once the carbon deposit builds up a bit?

thats what i thought but it was still there 6 months later and i hated the noise , is the 6 branch wrapped that might help.

hi

thats what i thought but it was still there 6 months later and i hated the noise , is the 6 branch wrapped that might help.

No its not wrapped with material, but i think i will do it. I know someone who has fitted one of the same manifolds and i didnt hear a noise with his and his wasnt wrapped.

a rough edge sounds like a possability, i just really dont know though, even if it was is there much that could be done?? im waiting for it to go but it wont..the wierd thing is it doesn't make the noise when you rev the engine in neutral, its only when moving when you floor it!

The exhaust heat shield hasn't come loose has it? Mine did and sounded like you describe

maybe, its that sort of noise.. sorry to sound stupid but where should i be looking???

although that did happen on my old valver and the noise was a slightly different one..worth a check though

a rough edge sounds like a possability, i just really dont know though, even if it was is there much that could be done?? im waiting for it to go but it wont..the wierd thing is it doesn't make the noise when you rev the engine in neutral, its only when moving when you floor it!

my noise was not there in neutral only heavy ish load at anything upto 4k then you could not hear it for induction noise :)

my noise was not there in neutral only heavy ish load at anything upto 4k then you could not hear it for induction noise :)

Exactly like mine is.

Exactly like mine is.

right, so were all having exactly the same problem, just got to work out how to solve it!!

right, so were all having exactly the same problem, just got to work out how to solve it!!

Well the manifold has only been fitted for about a month. So im giving it some time to see if it goes (fingers crossed).

Well the manifold has only been fitted for about a month. So im giving it some time to see if it goes (fingers crossed).

did 'the noise' ever go mate? mine hasnt...... :confused4:

did 'the noise' ever go mate? mine hasnt...... :confused4:

its still there a bit, but its not as bad as it was. I think it could be a matter of 1000's of miles before it completely goes, IF it does completely go. You can only really hear mine when you open the throttle to full.

same as mine, its only when you gas it, and if the windows are open...i know its not the end of the world but it is quite annoying, just not ideally how i would like the car to sound!

same as mine, its only when you gas it, and if the windows are open...i know its not the end of the world but it is quite annoying, just not ideally how i would like the car to sound!

Yeah me too mate. Some one else said the same about the manifolds on here and said that after they'd done 2-3k miles it went. Im sure ive done at least 2k miles since having it fitted. Fingers crossed to be honest. But yeah it doesnt sound great, sounds as though the exhaust is blowing a bit when i know its not :(

yeah exactly, anyone else i seem to mention it to thinks im just being overly fussy, i guess thats the problem, i know i cant fix it but no one else/no other garage, seems to want to do it either..hmmmmmm :confused4:

yeah exactly, anyone else i seem to mention it to thinks im just being overly fussy, i guess thats the problem, i know i cant fix it but no one else/no other garage, seems to want to do it either..hmmmmmm :confused4:

Dont think its a case of 'fixing' it. A garage wont be able to do anything. Its a case of hoping and seeing if it goes. It'll quiten down if nothing else.

yeah i guess, having asked so many people about it i had kinda realised i would just have to deal with it and as you said hope it goes away! cant see it happening though! oh well

yeah i guess, having asked so many people about it i had kinda realised i would just have to deal with it and as you said hope it goes away! cant see it happening though! oh well

Well like i say mate, mines alot quieter then it was when i first had it fitted, so there's still hope ;)

How many miles have you covered since fitting it, what manifold is it?