Sign in to follow this  
cardboard

Radio not working ariel problem

the radio does not work on my rado, gets zero reception. do i need to rip all the headlining out to trace the wire back to the ariel looking for a problem?

i have not tried just getting a new ariel as i didnt think this could be the problem? am i wrong?

if no problem is obvious do i need the whole lot and to run the wire from the ariel to the head unit again?

thanks

will probably be a dead aerial amplifier in the aerial base, they get full of water and corrode up, you can either take it apart and rip the amplifier out and bypass it as it does bugger all for FM anyway, or get a new aeriel base.

do a search for it as it has been covered a few times before.

you should be able to test it by dropping the rear of the headlining down a bit, unplug the aerial and just poke a bit of wire about 30cm long into the centre of the connector, this is usually enough to get a half decent signal, and should point to a knackered aerial.

hi

u r the current owner of m81 jnp right? well, if he's still got the alpine single cd h/unit i stuck in it, there is an aerial adapter required to make it fit the alpine unit - it's a "din" adapter if i remember right, and only a couple of quid from an i.c.e. supplier...never got round to fitting one!

u need one of these...http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... duct=21617

hope this helps

p.s. how is the old beast? miss him

hi mate i dont think its that as i have put a different head unit in which doesnt recieve any signal. :(

have recently changed all the oils etc, standard overhall, she is running great, no problems yet!!! :D have big plans though over the next year. im rebuilding another VR lump currently which is going to be turboed :luvlove: and droped in, so the car will be off the road for the shortest amount of time possible. its all systems go. she will be at ed38 as is, maybe with some anthracite rims if you wanna say hello!!

i had this problem - cured it by stripping back the shielding from the aerial cable so just the centre core was connected. went from rubbish reception to more than adequate and damn site easier.