Sign in to follow this  
officejunkie

hi im new, bought a project g60 - heres my story

Hi Guys, Im Nas, please to meet you!! seems like a nice friendly forum, which is important to me as I think the owners club is part of buying a car. PS. sorry about the essay!

I used to own an Rx7 twinturbo. It spent most of its life on the driveway (but it wasnt broken!) it was a weekend toy- and as i drove a polo tdi as a daily it made it sorta affordable to run but kind of a waste to own really.. Gratuitous pic...

IMG_6637Medium.jpg

Anyway I decided that when i moved to leeds, that i would get rid of the rx7 as its not really safe to park around here as there are many scallys wondering about. Also thought that it would be better to have just one car for a while something in between the polo and the rx7. So i sold the rx7 and went on the hunt for a Corrado G60. I wanted one as its a car i promised myself when i was a kid. i also wanted one that i could work on as i like getting dirty :tongue:

Anyhow i spotted one on ebay that needed work and sounded like it wasnt a complete lemon. went round to view drove it and it went pretty well.

Its a G60 - 77k on the clock - a massive folder stuffed full with receipts, magazine articles and dealer brochures etc.

It needed the following problems fixing... but i managed to knock him down £500 for what was already a bloody bargain!

Spoiler not working.

Sunroof totally rooted

Central locking not working on passenger door

Super charger needs rebuilding

An Alarm needs fitting.

New front tyres

Gear shifter wobbles about (needs a circlip)

theres some car park dings on both sides

Stonechips galore!

So i decided with this new project, id need some new tools.. So i went and spent some money on a decent toolkit with a lifetime warranty and got to work.

The Spoiler - This wasn't working due to fuse 16 being blown - now goes up and down like it should!

Sunroof - Found one for £30 at a local scrappers which i pick up on the weekend. cant wait to fit this lol

Central locking - i could hear a loud hissing from behind the fuse box - there was a split in the yellow pipe - i cut it at the split and stuck it into the T piece - works fine now!

Supercharger - This wasnt working at its full potential - i did the OBC trick and it was only getting 1590 so i spent monday night removing it, now its on its way to G werks - i should have it back fully rebuilt with a 68mm pulley and the chip that goes with it on Saturday.

Alarm - I have a guy who will come out to fit this on monday - its a Toad Ai606 cat 1 - only £235 fitted - does everything you need.

Tyres were worn right down to the wire! i decided that i wasnt going to risk the 60 mile journey home - so had these changed at kwik fit and they ripped me off as i had no where else to take it within 10miles.

Gear Shifter - thanks to you lot i have got the part number - i pick this up from the dealers on Saturday.

Car park dings - these are getting looked at by one of those paintless dent removal guys next week.

Stone chips. I suppose the car would do better if it had a respray - and i have a colour in mind, but the grass green is "growing" on me *chortle*

seats - have found a mint set of cloth seats - i pick these up on friday.

The car came with a few goodies. although its pretty much stock apart from

17" rims

a decent car stereo

Fully poly bushed suspension - it handles really really well and feels nice and tight.

3 bar grill (i have the original too)

a full stainless exhaust system (sounds nice and deep and not too loud)

I hope to get this car looking great one day.. anyway here are some pics of how it looks. Ill update this thread as the project moves along.

f7a9_1.jpg

6a4c_1.jpg

3d00_1.jpg

looking forward to getting to know you all.

Nas

Welcome :wave:

Looks like you got a bargain there, although what do I know, I spent £220 on an RX7 with no compression & sold it again for £85 :cuckoo:

Rich

Looks good - welcome aboard!

(Moving to Members Gallery .... people tend to keep a progress thread in here for the various stages of progression as their car transforms into a beautiful rattlesnake ....)

Hi Nas, sounds like you're already well on the way to making this into a minter. Top stuff sir. :salute:

I've always had a soft spot for Rex-7s too. It was on the shortlist before I bought my VR.