Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

CAT.C Write off!any exeriences!

Guys ive seen a car I want cat.c ive done all the research and done all the things i need to do

e.g arrange VIC check

done hpi check

told insurance also checked the reg with insurance and vic and hpi

got oil and water etc so when i see it saturday if i want to buy it i can

so just wondering if anyone has any experiences of them

as the car has not mot,tax or V5 - vosa have told me when it was written off by insurance and its a reputable breaker

so just after any advice really guys

Cheers Andy

Well i have a Cat D mk1 sportline cabrio, it was written off as it was stolen recovered :cuckoo: dented front bumper, grille broken, bonnet dented and a broken drivers 1/4 light and srcrewed ignition barrell

when i bought it off the chap a couple of years ago he had already had it VIC tested which was £30 iirc, that info is added by the DVLA and put on the log book at the bottom to say its been subject to substantial damage and or repair/ or un economical right off, it says that it has been VIC tested and is decaled fit and repaired properly, although mine was damaged no more than some people do to their cars on a shopping trip!!! :grin:

Once a car is cat C or D it is supposed to 1/2 its market value, once its VIC tested it is supposed to make it worth 75-80% its market value again

In my experience some people will just not touch anything with a marker against it, but also in my experience some "perfect" cars have been subject to worse damage and shoddy or cheap repairs just because it has not been through insurance!

My cabrio is spot on and the best driving mk1 i have ever had out of the 5 i have owned over the years

a slong as its been repaired properly and its something your not paying over the odds for then its worth consideration, if its a bit ropey, walk away, you can by a nice un blemished (not recorded) example for low money at the moment :grin:

My first Corrado was a Cat C - I came home with it after going to the local VW breakers for a VR conversion for my MkII :cuckoo:

It needed a new bonnet, slam and headlight and the wing was repaired - everything else was sweet with no creases and all the electrics engine etc were sweet - it never missed a beat in the time I had it bar the ISV packing it (it was a 2.0 16v with 90k on it).

As for the VOSA check you have to take it down to your local VOSA inspection place and they check it out, think it cost me 40 odd quid. The insurance companies that write them off take the logbook and the DVLA won't return it until they've been notified by VOSA it passed its check, and it comes back marked as a repaired write-off. VOSA told me you were allowed to drive there without tax (as you can't get it with no logbook) as long as you have a valid MOT on it, which you can get whether it's a writeoff or not, mine went straight through this (from memory I think they wanted to see the MOT and insurance at VOSA along with a reciept of purchase).

Basically all they do is check the chassis and engine numbers match and the car isn't dangerous. Then they give you a pass certificate which you can use to get tax from the local DVLA office (not a Post Office) and the DVLA issues the logbook back.

It only took about 20 mins to do the check and was really easy, I think you're meant to notify your insurance but I never did :nuts: .

Just for reference I paid 800ish for it from the scrappies with some decent alloys with new tyres and the replacement headlight it needed.

Cost me 50 quid in panels from ebay and about the same in paint (did the repair work between myself and a friend). Sold it in the end for £1300 so still made a bit of cash on it.

Sorry that's all a bit long winded but I hope it helps!