Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

oooh, F1 going to donny

So Bernie finally wields the axe.

Donnington is a great circuit and it will be a great venue. I'm sure there is a lot of politics involved that we'll never get to here about - seems like the BRDC and Bernie were always on a collision course so it comes as no surprise.

Personally I don't understand it...

Track's not as technically challanging as S/S is for the drivers, access is awful, pits are like S/s circa 1980... No Grandstands, etc...

Will take millions to re-develop it into a world-class circuit!

Can't help thinking It's another "Brands-2000" move to lick the BRDC up the jacksie...

But I wish Donnie good luck... Wonder if they will manage to hold onto the MotoGP as well?

Personally I don't understand it...

Track's not as technically challanging as S/S is for the drivers, access is awful, pits are like S/s circa 1980... No Grandstands, etc...

Will take millions to re-develop it into a world-class circuit!

Can't help thinking It's another "Brands-2000" move to lick the BRDC up the jacksie...

But I wish Donnie good luck... Wonder if they will manage to hold onto the MotoGP as well?

As you said itll take millions to develop. I think they should just pump the much need cash into Silverstone personally. Such a shame we've lost a great race out of the racing calander.

I've lived nr silverstone for years and since they finally dualled the A43 past silverstone village there's now dual carriageway access from both M1 and M40 right to the circuit, they basically have 8 lanes in and 8 lanes out again in the evening which is excellent for getting 250K people in and out over the weekend.

The circuit has invested loads over the years too, so as mentioned, I think this has more to do with Ecclestone's feud with the BRDC than any pratical reasons, shame for Silverstone though, when I used to work for the circuit in the summer the managers told me the sponsorship for the F1 grand prix paid for the entire running of the circuit for a year, all staff costs etc. I'm sure they're going to struggle without it.

Silverstone was always crap for viewing the track though.

I've lived nr silverstone for years and since they finally dualled the A43 past silverstone village there's now dual carriageway access from both M1 and M40 right to the circuit, they basically have 8 lanes in and 8 lanes out again in the evening which is excellent for getting 250K people in and out over the weekend.

The circuit has invested loads over the years too, so as mentioned, I think this has more to do with Ecclestone's feud with the BRDC than any pratical reasons, shame for Silverstone though, when I used to work for the circuit in the summer the managers told me the sponsorship for the F1 grand prix paid for the entire running of the circuit for a year, all staff costs etc. I'm sure they're going to struggle without it.

Silverstone was always crap for viewing the track though.

Any idea how much the sponsors paid for one F1 race? staff costs, catering etc

I've lived nr silverstone for years

Me too, where abouts?

Any idea how much the sponsors paid for one F1 race? staff costs, catering etc

I can't remember exactly but when Fosters sponsored it in the late 80's early 90's it was several million quid, and all they got were a few banners and a big fosters logo painted on the grass :lol:

@ukshadow06

I used to live in a little village called Slapton, nr Wappenham/Abthorpe/Silverstone village, now I'm a bit further up the road on the edge of Northampton in Wootton Fields.

Dad used to work at GTI Engineering/BBR in Brackley :)

I expect Max "Brown Shirt" Moseley had something to do with it it too :hitler:

I expect Max "Brown Shirt" Moseley had something to do with it it too :hitler:

PMSL in the hidden msg

to be fair what they had done to donnington park at ISTS was dreadful, totally dug up the centre ground for motorcross track. it was absolutly trashed! it was quite upsetting to think that maybe 10 years previous i was coming to see superbikes every year and was sitting on the same patch of grass to watch it. it was bad enough when i went a few years back and they had covered every grass patch with a coal like gravel stuff which just made it horrible. i love donnington park and always will but as said it will take alot to make it into a F1 track, its just not got the challenge that is needed in F1. perfect for touring cars and superbikes but gash for F1!

my 2p

Well looking at the mess the roads were in yesterday coming back from the pod, and listening to traffic reports... Major snarl ups even with using the A43 as a 6 lane one-way system away from the event. I have no idea how the hell they will be able to funnel the numbers seen at the weekend (90,000+) out of such a small Venue with only one motorway (the A43 services the M40 and M1).

The only way I can see this working Logistically is to massivly upgrade the A42, even more so than the A43 has been, to try and funnel some of the trafic down to the M6/M40, and with the present Govt in power I can't see that happening before 2010!

This doesn't even take into account work on the site itself!

Stinks of :hitler: and the midget beating the BRDC up AGAIN!