Sign in to follow this  
voo51

fryed earth wire, no dash lights - help!

I have been trying to sort out why my dash lights and headunit have not been working. I managed to sort out the headunit but my dash lights still wouldnt work, so i have taken my dimmer switch and light switch out and i have found a completely fryed earth wire, well i assume its the earth wire as it used to have a brown sheath over it and now that has been fryed onto the other wires a bit. It is fryed right down to the end and then just dangles around my fuse box.

Could this be why i have no dash lights? my headlamps/taillamps work fine.

Should i put a new wire in or will this one be ok to just re-earthed to the bodywork?

And now i pushed my headunit into its place and that wont work now, grrrrrr!!!

I have just been searching through posts and found that the dash lights are the third fuse along not number 21 which i thought and sure enough that is broke.

Could the earth wire have broke it though? This is the first time i have really tackelled car electrics so sorry for the questions.

Ah cool, glad you found the right fuse.

Not sure about the earth lead, but it sounds like it's something which will need replacing either way.

If you have a search this has happened to a few of us now after the headlight switch has failed and shorted internally... you'll need a new switch but you can repair the loom using repair wires from VW.

happened to me not long ago, yep sounds like the switch has broken and shorted that wire out, probably taking out your dash light too

do your headlights work?

Yep the headlamps and taillights work fine. I will replace the switch then and the wire and see if that helps.

Thankyou :)

does the switch illuminate at all?

thats what that wire does, earth supply to the light, i think...

switch is about £55 from VW

The switch itself illuminates when the lights are off but when i turn them on the switch light goes off. Also when you slightly push the circle light emblem on the button the light goes off.

I have put a post on for a second hand one.

well thats all normal

prehaps it broke in the past and someone just changed the switch, i don't really know

are you going to change the wiring? the whole clump unplugs each end, worth adding an extra inline fuse too

Yep, going to change the earth wire and a fuse is a good idea, won't be done for a few days though, ill update once it's done.

Thanks again

I'm having the same problem right now. Got a new switch today but still not working. How did it work for you? And where does the clump of wires go to within the dash?

the clump of wires from the switch runs to the back of the fuse box, (which is next to your bonnet release handle)