Sign in to follow this  
kuipers23

No doubt its water!

As anyone who lives in the south of England will know, it is very wet today!

I took my car to the garage about a month ago after it started missfiring really badly on the way to work and was not drivable. They found gaps in the manifold and played with teh fuel air mix. This seems to sort the problem but took a few days to do it. I think that in this time what ever gets wet when it is really bad out is drying out.

Drove to work this morning at the missfire returns. It only happens when it is really wet on the roads. I am getting beyond annoyed now.

It has had the new leads, I have checked the dizzy and there is no water at all in there. I can't see how it would suck water into the engine so it has to be something else.

Can anyone think of anything that might be getting wet. Basically I can put my foot flat to the floor and there is nothing. Then it will fire and run on three cylinders with my foot flat down. If I stop the engine cuts out.

I need to have this fixed by the winter otherwise I will never be able to drive it.

Thanks

Have you tried opening the bonnet at night to check for sparks which will be a lot more obvious in the dark, or wait for a dry day and then spray different bits with a water mister bottle until it starts to play up to locate the problem.

It might be worth changing the dizzy cap and rotor arm anyway as mine looked fine and was only a couple of months old, but there was actually a hairline crack between the centre electrode and one of the outer connectors that only effected it when damp, i have also had a coil that was shorting out when it was damp.

Have ordered a new dizzy from halfords. Going to get it at lunch.

I guess its the cheapest thing to try first.

If it is not that then I have no idea.

It can't be where the ecu is can it? Its a sealed unit so you would thing it can't get wet.

Can we use one of your existing threads about this problem please? Helps people to know what has already been suggested.

Thanks