Sign in to follow this  
jaded2882

Making exhaust quieter

Hi guys, just bought a G60 from down in Hertfordshire, it's now in Shrewsbury (got it through Pistonheads, somebody on here might know it already!) Absolutely love it, been worth the months of looking and researching- a bit of a scary jump from my mk3 golf GTI! It's had a few mods done on it- Stage 4 charger, 70mm pulley, superchip and a scorpion sport exhaust. The noise is awesome once it's moving but it's a bit rattley and well... 'chavy' when it's idling. The guy I bought it from suggested wrapping the manifold with heat insulating tape to muffle the noise (can buy this fairly cheap on ebay). What's your take on this?

On a point aside- It's currently just got an immobiliser on it, no alarm, and I'm pretty edgy about it getting nicked/broken into. Are they particularly desirable to theives or joyriders? Has anyone had theirs pinched before? Sorry about all the questions, I've never known anyone with a Corrado, nevermind a G60, so I've got a lot to learn!

imo, the immobiliser is the important bit. I can't ever remember seeing anyone pay any attention to a car alarm going off. I decided to hire a garage to keep it a bit safer. I realise it can still be taken easily but at least it helps keep away spur of moment vandalism/theft. I got my garage from one of the local housing agencies and it costs just under a tenner a week. Hope this helps. Enjoy your C and welcome to the forum :D

if you're referring to boomy exhaust noise inside the car, then lagging the manifold will help keep it quieter, but you will prob have to lag the whole manifold and maybe under the car a little too. That's quite a big job, and you'll ideally want to take the manifold off to do it.

g60s are loud cars...id suggest either a vag or supersprint exhaust to make it a sensible level

consider a cat 1 alarm to help keep it safe

g60s are loud cars...id suggest either a vag or supersprint exhaust to make it a sensible level

consider a cat 1 alarm to help keep it safe

Second that on both accounts, but was really referring to the exhaust comment. Ive got a supersprint cat back. Not boomy at all sounds stock. All i need to do is muffle the manifold as its a bit noisey.

Cheers for the advice- ye I think I'll fit an alarm soon, I suppose the more security the better! I also noticed something else today, i had a passenger in the back for the first time and got a lot of knocking from the OS rear side, especially when still. I'm guessing that means it's been lowered a little too much??