Sign in to follow this  
dutchboy

2.0 16v manifold questions *new update*

Ok I recently had all the engine mounts replaced (front, rear and g/box mount) at my local garage who I've used for years. Firstly should the rear one have cost me £82 + VAT?!! Secondly, the vibrations which now come through into the cabin are terrible. I can feel it all through the steering wheel and through the centre console and it's rattling my dash board to death!!!!!! I thought that maybe they just need to "bed in" but that aint right surely?

Just wondering what to do cos I would there is only one way to fit an engine mount.

Also slight change of topic but my exhaust manifold has cracked in a few places and seems to be effecting the overall running of the engine. Should I get a stainless one or a standard one? I'm struggling to find any that fit a 2.016v with PAS. Also where the downpipe joins, it is leaking there. Can you get the gasket and screws (with springs) from anywhere?

Cheers for any help!!!

Ok I recently had all the engine mounts replaced (front, rear and g/box mount) at my local garage who I've used for years. Firstly should the rear one have cost me £82 + VAT?!! Secondly, the vibrations which now come through into the cabin are terrible. I can feel it all through the steering wheel and through the centre console and it's rattling my dash board to death!!!!!! I thought that maybe they just need to "bed in" but that aint right surely?

sounds like you have a heavy duty engine mount there, they are a little stiffer than standard and as such they absorb less vibration but transmit it to the cabin!

Also slight change of topic but my exhaust manifold has cracked in a few places and seems to be effecting the overall running of the engine. Should I get a stainless one or a standard one? I'm struggling to find any that fit a 2.016v with PAS. Also where the downpipe joins, it is leaking there. Can you get the gasket and screws (with springs) from anywhere?

Cheers for any help!!!

There should be manifolds that will fit the Corrado 16v, you might need to ring around some places to check. The downpipe to manifold join is a MOTHER. I have never ever seen anyone manage to separate it properly. If I were you i'd find a second hand standard manifold and downpipe if you can't find a stainless one that fits.

hth,

Jon.

I found a standard manifold in good condition so I might just buy that. I'm not too fussed about performance-just as long as everything works!!! I'll try and source a downpipe too. I dont know why they would have put a heavy duty mount on. It's made driving the car awful!!!!!!

Cheers for the response mate.

No probs. Check on ebay for exhaust manifold, you should be able to use one from a Mk2 Golf 16v too. Downpipe might be a bit trickier to find, but good luck!

If you do a search on engine mounts you should find posts covering VW and pattern mounts.

In summary, on a 4 cylinder car the rear mount needs to be genuine VW or FEBI (try AVS for FEBI - £27.95), many of the pattern items from GSF etc. are solid rubber instead of hydraulic damped and transmit too much vibration, this isn't generally a problem with front mounts as the front cross member also has rubber bushes further damping vibrations.

bugger missed out on my manifold and downpipe. Does anyone know if raceland manifolds will fit a 2.0 16v with PAS?

Cant find anything on that MASSIVE exhaust thread.

you mean shed any light on your original mount question?

I thought I did :)

you need to check the source of your rear main mount, like I said I'm pretty sure anything other than VW or FEBI will give problems.

You think £82 + VAT was steep for your engine mount. I enquired back in June at my VW parts counter and they quoted nearly £125 + VAT for a genuine item :shock:

Regarding the manifold/down pipe I spoke to awesome GTI about this last year and they couldn't guarantee that a Miltek SS manifold they could supply would fit; some knock on the steering rack, some do not... If you have any success, please let us 9A people know.

Lee

yeah the mount is sorted. I'm gonna just buy a manifold, if it fits it fits. If it doesn't - I'm skint!!!

Ha Ha

update: My garage has been fighting to fit this manifold all day and it has been very poorly made. It fits around the PAS but the two outer pipes are about and inch and a half off lining up. Hopefully they can heat it and bend it into place. Not happy.

Just so you know the make is tuning center kassel and they sell on ebay.

Yeah, 4-2-1manifolds are harder than 4-1s when trying to line them up because of the extra piping. Other option is to get something like Milltek, they're good but about £300 last time I looked :shock: