Sign in to follow this  
dutchboy

Rear disc and bearing question

Do I need to put the ABS rotors back on the discs when I've replaced the discs? I haven't and feel I should have!!!! By the way my ABS doesn't work - never has so I'm not too bothered about it workin just need to know if the disc will still seat properly onto the stub axle without the rotor.

Disc should still seat properly without the ABS rotors/cages, but you really should have put them on the back of the disc before you attached them to the stub axle.

I know. I was struggling getting them off my old disc and I was stuck for time. I just presumed they would be ok, first rule is not to cut corners but on this occasion I did.

I guess if your ABS doesn't work then it's not a huge issue, but as it's quite a hi-tech safety system and it's fitted as std I'd prob want it to be working properly. Also, dead ABS might be an MOT fail? Not too sure on that one though.

yeah think it is but mine just passed it's MOT. I might of accidently unplugged the ABS warning light *ahem*. I've just been out to check my rear discs and there is back and forth movement in the wheels. That aint good!!!!!! There wasn't when I fit the bearings?!

If there's lots and lots of movement (an obvious clunk clunk from side to side) it's cos the race isn't seated properly. Did you drive it down to it's limit with a suitable drift? I've forgotten to do that before and the wheel moves a LOT from side to side.

Yeah it's drifted in properley. It's movement in and out as you pull on the wheel as if it isn't tightened up properly. Weird.

have you got all the stub axle washers bearings and nuts on in the right order and fully tightened? Sounds like something isn't doing it's job properly.

The rear bearings will need retightening as they settle in, they are all nicely packed out with grease, and you did tighten them until you could just move the washer with a screwdriver, the castlated washer and split pin are all fitted I assume?

I had to re tighten mine several times until they settled on the valver. There is still a little play from cold, but nothing serious.

The rear bearings will need retightening as they settle in, they are all nicely packed out with grease, and you did tighten them until you could just move the washer with a screwdriver, the castlated washer and split pin are all fitted I assume?

I had to re tighten mine several times until they settled on the valver. There is still a little play from cold, but nothing serious.

When you say tighten them Toad, do you mean the nut that sits over the spindle? I read on a guide not to over tighten this, but to just do it 'hand weight' on top of the ratchet?

And i stupidly threw the ABS rotars away with the old discs! GRRRR £9 plus VAT each!

Yeah,

You need to do it up a bit to make sure everything seats properly, then back it off and nip it up till you can just move the washer underneath it.

Yeah,

You need to do it up a bit to make sure everything seats properly, then back it off and nip it up till you can just move the washer underneath it.

ah get ya ;)

Cheers

right. checked the bearings and it turns out my wheels had come lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I refitted the bearings anyway but the bolts had come lose on both wheels!!! can't believe it. I always torque them up. I've NEVER EVER had this problem before.

Erm.... any ideas?!

And i stupidly threw the ABS rotars away with the old discs! GRRRR £9 plus VAT each!

Best to get new ones anyway. The previous owner "recycled" the old ones on mine when fitting new brakes shortly before I bought it.

They came loose a couple of months into my ownership, meaning I had to take it all apart to fit new ones.

he prob bent the old ones getting them off the old discs and then they never hugged the new discs properly. Cages should be reusable I would have thought (unless they're corroded), they're sprung slightly so you can get them off and on the discs. Sounds like a bodge to me.

he prob bent the old ones getting them off the old discs and then they never hugged the new discs properly. Cages should be reusable I would have thought (unless they're corroded), they're sprung slightly so you can get them off and on the discs. Sounds like a bodge to me.

Well they came loose, when I removed the disc they fitted back on tightly. They came off again hence why I replaced with new ones. Which haven't come loose yet.

I find theres nothing more demoralising than doing a job and inferior parts meaning you have to do it again. Best to use the new bits from the off then you know the job has been done properly. You've saved £40 labour in doing it yourself, so whats £9 for the correct parts.

good points made there. I've learnt now to use correct new parts. Makes life so much easier.

you buy the cheap parts but in the long run they are a waste of money!!

good points made there. I've learnt now to use correct new parts. Makes life so much easier.

you buy the cheap parts but in the long run they are a waste of money!!

lol cough.. ignition switch... cough, is a prime example of that. I replaced that switch twice in the space of a year, finally and for the third time ive replaced it, but with a VAG one. :roll:

ok bit worried now. Both sides have come lose again. The wheels are torqued up to 120NM, but when I grab the tyre and push and pull there is movement?!?!?!?!?!?! I tightened the bearings up the other night, surely can't be those. Any ideas anyone?

What do you mean you tightened the bearings up - did you tighten the bolt on the spindle? Thats not suppose to be tight only a very slight nip up not really tight on!

yeah sorry I worded that badly. I did the bearings up properly so the wheel spins nice and free and I can just about move the washer with a screwdriver. I just dont get this at all. such an annoyingly weird problem.