Sign in to follow this  
waynos

powdercoating polished surfaces?

can this be done?

just planning ahead really. my wheels are in good nick but i know one day they will need a refurb. my question is can i have them polished to a mirror shine then clear powdercoated? i know the shine would be dulled down a bit but thats not much of an issue. Also does anyone know who could do this kind of work?

well i'm not sure tbh, i thought it had to be a rough surface but i'll be taking my wheels to Spectrum Enamellers Ltd in bedford as they are known as the place round here to get any powder coating done, so give them a buzz and i'm sure they'll be able to advise! 01234 349693

It can be done but doesn't last, chips very easily, thats why the TT comps are diamond cut then lacquered, but even they suffer eventually, you could leave them unlacquered and use Rimwax or similar to protect the polished surface, depends how often you use the car and how bothered you can be to keep on top of the polishing :)

as bilcor says its very hard and pretty pointless either go for a refurb and get them sprayed or you get them polished then you'll have to be out there every weekend with your belgom.

tt comps are laquered , i thought the question was for powder coating

i know powder coating is an option on image wheels (not laquering)

powder coat is normally a very good and durable coating all thou it does dull as you rightely said but i would do it to save all that polishing :(

yea i wasnt asking about laquering lol but thanks for that, wanted to kno about powder coating as ive heard its really durable, dont really want the wheels painted as it wouldnt look right.has any body had this done? or even chrome powder coat?

Anything capable of being staticly charged (even some plastics) and withstand the heat of oven required for powder to cure can be powder coated

The only problem you may have is that they usually dip the items in a chemical to ensure its perfectly clean before the powder coat goes on, there may be a way around this though?

Powder coating is far better than laquer or paint any day, you get an even coat of "paint" for a start, accross the whole item as the powder wont overlay itself once its "coated" it cant stick to itself again, and so falls to the floor

And if you ask for a little bit of the powder used to do them if you get any chips all you need to do is add some thinner to a bit of powder and you have paint again :grin: as the flakes are just "powdered paint"