Sign in to follow this  
tomvass83

Distributor and Seal

Good day everyone,

I was hoping that someone might be able to help with this subject. My girlfriend drove my c 16v 1.8 1990 on the weekend. The only instruction past not crashing it i gave her was to flick the cooling fan by pass switch when we got off the motorway. Fortunately she didn't crash the car but over heated it. The c then started jerking so rang the aa, he had a look and confirmed the seal had gone on the distributor. It might be a coincidence that the seal went at the same time she overheated it but i can't help but think the two were linked.

I have had a look at it and i need a new distributor/arm and seal for the c. anyone got any ideas on the sort of cost i'm looking at to get it fixed in a garage. parts labour etc as i don't fancy getting done. The aa guy told me that the distributors are hard to come by and seals, so anyone any ideas on where to find one? I was going to put the car into storage as getting a company car in september but i might have to sell her so if anyone is looking for a cracking c that we have had in the family from new let me know. Body work is a bit warn but interior, engine (excluding distributor and cooling system) are in cracking condition.

Any help would be much appreciated.

AA man is on cocaine, you can still get hold of even the bosch dizzy let alone the pattern ones. The engine in your (and my) car are in the Mk2 Golf and Jetta plus the dizzy is shared with a couple of other cars I think.

When you say the dizzy seal do you mean the small rubber ring? Here is one I recently stripped out of a spare 1.8 16v engine, I think the green ring is the seal you're referring to?

image052qm2.jpg

btw, sounds like an odd thing to go when you overheat an engine. I would expect it to jerk when it gets too hot, but not heard of the dizzy seal going before. :scratch:

I haven't managed to remove the actual distributor yet from the car. i think though that the green ring must be the seal that he was referring to. As the car was running up to temperature it was fine but once hot the car starts to jerk. When he showed me the inside of the cap it had oil on it. After he washed it, it started again fine for about 5 mins and then would start jerking again.

How hard was it to remove the distributor from the engine as i will have a go with mine and see what it comes out like?

Thanks for the help so far.

If the green seal fails it would only cause oil to leak out around the flange (i love that word) and down the side of the block, if oil is building up inside the dizzy it sounds like an internal seal has failed, not sure if those dizzy's are serviceable or not but as has been mentioned they are still readily available.

Thanks, I have a friend who can get me one for £50 notes + VAT so going to have a crack it myself. Any tips, I have been told to mark where the dizzy comes out so that i can re align the new one.

Thanks for the help so far guys

Here is one I recently stripped out of a spare 1.8 16v engine,

Hi

Just the picture I wanted to see.

Please put up a picture of the opposite side of the dizzy.

Also, how easy was it to replace the hallsender inside the dizzy ?

Do they come new with the hall sender ?

Thanks in advance.

the other side of the dizzy is where the dizzy cap goes, so you prob know what it looks like?

Yes will come with the hall sender (if the hall sender is the little black 3-pin connecter bit sticking out of the side)

Thanks, I have a friend who can get me one for £50 notes + VAT so going to have a crack it myself. Any tips, I have been told to mark where the dizzy comes out so that i can re align the new one.

Thanks for the help so far guys

That's standard price mate, nothing really cheap about that. It's not hard at all to do, just make sure you line those two pins up withe the cam drive on the end of the camshaft.

the other side of the dizzy is where the dizzy cap goes, so you prob know what it looks like?

Just in case you dont know what it looks like here is a simple guide to help identify the dizzy.

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfdizzy.JPG[/attachment:3suxzipo]

This is the famous computer game character Dizzy , this is not the dizzy you are looking for.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfdizzy2.JPG[/attachment:3suxzipo]

This is the world famous jazz musician Dizzy Gillespie, and although very talented this is also not the dizzy you are looking for

dizzy 3.JPG[/attachment:3suxzipo]

I believe This is the dizzy you are looking for.

:wink:

if you're going to remove the distributor, mark the body against the cam cover with a screwdriver score or fine marker pen so you can put it back at the same base ignition advance.

the two 10mm bolts are slackened to adjust the timing and removed to remove the 'dizzy' very easy, just don't bash the hall sender connector block

to replace the inner seal (the specs of that seal are buried somewhere on the club GTI forum) you need to press out a small pin that holds the cam drive end to the distributor shaft, not easy without a vice or press.

In fact to replace the hall sender you have to do much the same thing.