Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

My wash process what do you think????

Guys going to give the BMW the treatment on the weekend wil take pics for progress,

So going to use these washing techniques any advice or difference as this will be my first time claying as well,

Step 1: pre rinse with hose

Step 2: megs hyper wash in bottle diluter attached to hose leave for 3-5mins.

Step 3: rinse with hose and dry with megs water magnet towel

Step 4: 2-Bucket method with megs soft wash gel but I don

Sounds good to me.

As for claying I always work on the basis that the car can never be too wet, better to have a drenched car than scratches caused by being stingy with the lube

Sounds good to me.

As for claying I always work on the basis that the car can never be too wet, better to have a drenched car than scratches caused by being stingy with the lube

Same here, always keep the paint wet to keep it cool as well otherwise the quik detailer will dry up and the clay wont glide over it.

Also i dont see the need to dry the car after just the first soak with hyper wash, you can soak it for 3-5 mins and then rinse off but then you just start washing it. If you dry it after just a rinse then you havent washed the dirt off the car and so could inflict swirls etc.

Step 1: pre rinse with hose = (i'd do the next step first, shampoo/foamy mixtures will cling better on a dry/dirty car and do their job better, then rinse/blast it off)

Step 2: megs hyper wash in bottle diluter attached to hose leave for 3-5mins.

Step 3: rinse with hose and dry with megs water magnet towel (i wouldn't dry now, i'd be left with a very dirty water magnet if i did)

Step 4: 2-Bucket method with megs soft wash gel but I don

cheers guys must you always glide the clay/ pull it across a wet surface or can you ever circle like when applying wax?

also any alternatives for megs soft wash gel and collinite protectant wax

i find up and down and left and right works well :lol: am sure doing circles is fine too, just remember to keep folding and kneading your clay to a clean spot.

Chemical guys maxi suds 2 is what i use, i've tried a few now and found that made best shampoo and smells good, i will be going back to that after i finished the sonus stuff i got to try.

as for wax, collinite is good stuff, or you could try the new Autogylm stuff, depends on your budget

I use Hyper Wash to wash the car with as well as to soak it (with some snow foam through a foam lance). Its great stuff imo.

Chemical guys maxi suds is good stuff too and smells lush :D

Can i ask - I bought a maguires clay bar and details pack. Now the detailer has ran out but i still use the clear. I have replaced the details with water and sprayed it on to keep the paint lubricated. Is this ok and if it is, whats the point in this 'detailer'? is it a bit of a gimmick?

Can i ask - I bought a maguires clay bar and details pack. Now the detailer has ran out but i still use the clear. I have replaced the details with water and sprayed it on to keep the paint lubricated. Is this ok and if it is, whats the point in this 'detailer'? is it a bit of a gimmick?

You shouldnt use clay with just water as water has no lubricity (is that the right word?) so although the clay will 'glide' across the water it will infact be damaging the paint. The detailer acts as a lubricant, there are better ones out there though, i use the Sonus Glyde clay lubricant and when i run out i use neat Megs Last Touch which is like the quik detailer and i mix a bit of shampoo in with it as well for extra lubrication.

You shouldnt use clay with just water as water has no lubricity (is that the right word?) so although the clay will 'glide' across the water it will infact be damaging the paint. The detailer acts as a lubricant, there are better ones out there though, i use the Sonus Glyde clay lubricant and when i run out i use neat Megs Last Touch which is like the quik detailer and i mix a bit of shampoo in with it as well for extra lubrication.

ah right, thanks herisites!

I've only clay barred it a couple of times, just using water to lubricate. It doesnt look as though its caused any damage. But i will take that comment onboard and go buy some quick detailer. Could you dilute the detailer with water, or anything else and what ratios if you can?

I've only clay barred it a couple of times, just using water to lubricate. It doesnt look as though its caused any damage. But i will take that comment onboard and go buy some quick detailer. Could you dilute the detailer with water, or anything else and what ratios if you can?

i jus read on DW forum on claying and soapy water is fine to use whe lubricating the paintwork fpr claying.

Bilt Armor (?) do a clay that's water compatable... must have a built in lube..... well rated too!

Shampoo, I use Megs Gold Class, seems to work well.

Inbetween the lime/wax stage I'd add a polish and sealer of some sort (SRP & EGP work) just to up the finished shine a bit!

Guys got all my stuff througham all excited now went for

step 1: snow foam(should last ages)

step 2: poor boys maxi suds II only got a small bottle though

step 3: all ready had the megs detail clay

step 4: goin with the megs step 2 and 3 polish 1st then finish with their canuba wax

I also have a sample of there NXT tech wax is this any good and at what stage would i apply it?

couple more questions gents do i need anything between going from the clay to polish step.

and do you always start with your wheels then door and boot shuts then go on to roof downwards?

also i will be doing a full picture from start to finish

Cheers Andy

Guys got all my stuff througham all excited now went for

step 1: snow foam(should last ages) - Great stuff, lasts ages as you only need a bit in a foam lance.

step 2: poor boys maxi suds II only got a small bottle though - Smells awesome lol

step 3: all ready had the megs detail clay

step 4: goin with the megs step 2 and 3 polish 1st then finish with their canuba wax - The megs step 3 is the carnuba wax not a polish and even megs step 2 which is labelled as a polish it not actually a polish as it contains no abrasives, its more of a glaze. The step 1 paint cleaner is good stuff though so use that first followed by 2 and 3. Also the step 3 wax doesn't last very long, few weeks at most so it will soon run out.

I also have a sample of there NXT tech wax is this any good and at what stage would i apply it?

This would be a slightly better replacement for the megs step 3 bottle wax but still not brilliant in terms of finish and durability.

couple more questions gents do i need anything between going from the clay to polish step.

Yep the megs step 1 paint cleaner would be ideal, however not completely necessary after claying.

and do you always start with your wheels then door and boot shuts then go on to roof downwards?

also i will be doing a full picture from start to finish

Cheers Andy

Yep thats the general order i take, and i also use a different mitt for the door/boot shuts and the lower half of the car (ie underneath door strips, rear/front bumper) to the top to try and keep my good mitt as clean as possible and these areas are generally dirtiest.