Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

DIY wheel refurb?

decided to have a go at this myself, haven't got to the paint stage yet, have only got one wheel this far, takes bloody ages but this was the worst one.

has anyone done this before? does the whole wheel need to be sealed as such? do i need to laquer the whole lot? including under the tyre bit?

this is the general condition of my wheels

DSC01011.jpg

rubber it all down and been adding filling primer and sanding that back until it was smooth

DSC01009.jpg

then just done a light coat of grey primer, ready to be rubbed down carefully and painted.

DSC01010.jpg

DSC01008.jpg

i've bought this paint, seemed to crop up alot on internet searches

DSC00980.jpg

i was thinking of just spraying the face of wheel with the silver paint, not sure i have enough to do 4 maybe 5 entire wheels, the inside will never been seen really. i mainly doing it as i'm fed up with cleaning corroded rims, this way they will be more wipe clean :lol:

I used the Wurth paint when i did my speedlines. They've lasted too, the problem ive had with the front wheels is that the carbon from the brakes has stuck easily to the wheel. Get some pics up when you've done the first one in silver.

this is one with a couple of coats of the paint, not laquered, not brilliant, lots of tiny dents and marks, plus the lettering seems unclear, but this was a really bad rim i had sitting the garage, only going to use it as a spare while i do each of the others one at a time :lol:

DSC01016.jpg

DSC01014.jpg

Yeah thats exactly how mine were. They were slightly uneven too. To be honest i wouldnt worry about the writing being unclear... whos going notice nor care about that. Put the laquer on and get another pic up. Let me know what the finish is like once its fully dry. Mine came out feeling a little rough which ended up allowing dust from the brakes to set in the rough surface.

i've put loads of laquer on, i normally do when spraying, then i will try and rub it down in a few weeks so its nice and smooth, i know what you mean about getting a "dry" kinda feeling to it

a pic with laquer on

DSC01017.jpg

i'm going to let it harden for a week or so and then use rubbing compound to get the laquer a bit smoother

Plus a good few coatings of Rim wax before use will help as well.

Looks good though!

Did you end up painting the whole wheel front and back?

Maybe thats where i went wrong, i didnt rub the laquer down after letting it harden for a while.

i've done a few rattle cans jobs on cars before and its alwayst the laquer stage that makes or breaks it :lol: i tend to spray on quite a lot now and get a really thick coating on. Am hoping the rubbing compound makes a difference as it does seem orange peely

Plus a good few coatings of Rim wax before use will help as well.

Looks good though!

Did you end up painting the whole wheel front and back?

on this wheel i have painted the back/inside, but with a different paint, slightly darker silver as i didn't wanna use up all the wurth paint.

i think the wheels on the car i'm just going to paint the faces and leave as much as i can alone on the backs, otherwise i get carried away and need loads of paint :lol:

do you rub the paint down before you laquer? if so, how? everytime i try it looks crap.

just done another wheel and its come out pretty rubbish, i think i'm going to have to sand it all back again :(

Im considering doing mine again, i didnt sand before laquering. Which is probably why they've pitted so easily. Then again im after a new set of wheels.

do you rub the paint down before you laquer? if so, how? everytime i try it looks crap.

just done another wheel and its come out pretty rubbish, i think i'm going to have to sand it all back again :(

I planned to do that, but I couldnt get it to look right either, so I ended up just letting the laquer smooth out the imperfections. I think your job looks better than mine.