Sign in to follow this  
LJ

G60 cut out at 45mph

Hi

Driving home Friday evening in the rain with a little standing water, and my G60 just died whilst doing 45mph in 4th or 5th following traffic - revs down to zero.

Luckily I coasted into a lay-by. She wouldn't start on a few turns, then would start and run fine for 10-15secs then just cut out. After ~10mins she started, and did the rest of my 35mile journey without problem.

Assuming HT leads or related, but going to check earths, plus the BTS, vacs, and ISV.

Generally idles a little rough, but then has a Newmann 268/276 cam.

Any other ideas?

Chris

Check the ECU relay as well. Mine did that once or twice, and I changed the ECU relay, hasn't done it since. Have a search on here, there should be quite a few threads...

Thanks guys, so looks like I'll be getting a 6N switch and some new relays then :(

Hopefully that'll cure it. I'll post on this thread if it doesn't.

Just ordered the following, with hopefully the correct part numbers as parts desk guy was Tweek like.

Polo 6N ignition switch 6N0 905 865 £18.46+VAT
    Fuel pump relay 191 906 383 C £19.37+VAT
    Digifant / ECU relay 165 906 381 £9.66+VAT

Just have to wait for the ECU relay to arrive :(

Fitted the relays and ignition switch last night to the car.

Two relays were easy, the ignition switch was not :(

Ignition switch is at a ~35deg angle away from the column, and is held in place by a single screw that's angled toward the column.

After hanging upside down under the column getting no where fast, using a small watch-maker style screw driver, I gave in.

Thought bugger it, and removed the; steering wheel, column surrounds, indicator and MFA stalks, removed the two bolts holding the metal ignition switch surround to the column. This gave some movement to the metal surround, and was enough to undo the screw from above.

The switch that came out was already a Polo 6N switch :( but of unknown age so put the new one in.

Started her up and she ran fine.

Still has the wobbly idle as before, idles fines then blip the throttle and the revs go up okay but then drops to nearly 500rpm where the engine gets lumpy and nearly dies, and then climbs back to anywhere between 800 and 1200rpm.

So turned the ignition off, unplugged the ISV, and started her up again. Barely idled, so adjusted the idle screw outward on the back of the TB to get a smooth idle. Now revs up cleanly as before, but now returns to a nice steady idle - albeit at ~1100rpm now, which :)

I'll have a go at cleaning the ISV to see if that helps, and if not I'll just run with it unplugged and should be fine with the SNS map ...

Drove her the 35miles to work this morning and no cut-out problem ... so far.

Check the wiring to the ISV as well. The wiring routes past a lot of high temperature areas and the sheathing goes brittle over time. I had a problem with mine where the sheath was so brittle it cracked and the wire was shorting out causing an occasionally lump idle.

That ignition switch screw is a PITA no doubt about it but it can be done from in the footwell. Took me about 3 HOURS of patiently trying but it did go eventually!!