Sign in to follow this  
CrazyG

Bramble VR6 - Rust Repair

I've fitted a new exhaust hanger and raised the rear coilies by about 15mm, so the ride is much more comfortable and I can worry less about speed bumps. The exhaust now only hits the rear axle when I go over really big bumps :) I've also tarted up the tatty rear calipers with a little smooth gold Hammerite and the front ones will get a lick of paint when I get around to it.

Here's a pic of my 4 wheeled daily toy and my 2 wheeled occasional toy :thumb right:

DSC00655.jpg

very nice mate, ooking really good, love the bike aswell. i want to get a bike license but ill turn into a right belb on one lol. and aswell everyone is out to kill ya when your on a bike

The VR's in the body shop this week to have some professional repair to a few nasty rust patches. Here are a few hideous pics... :gag:

P2083019.jpg

Offside front arch.

P2083023.jpg

Offside rear arch.

P2083020.jpg

Nearside rear arch.

There are a couple of bubbling paint spots on the lower portion of the driver's door and slightly further back towards the rear wheel, plus some more rusty chips on the driver's door sill. The offside front arch is even worse than it looks because it turns out that there's already been some filler used for a hole on the other side. I've been told I could have it filled again but it won't last long, so I'm having a new portion of wing fabricated and welded on. Once the corrosion has been treated, filled (where necessary) and painted, the whole of each panel that has had paint will be re-laquered, so she should look very pretty indeed! :D

In the meantime, I have had to subject myself to the use of public transport to get to work. This is an experience I would not recommend to anyone who can avoid it. My journey to work is approximately 10.5 miles which, on a clear run, will take about 17 minutes by car. With rush-hour traffic, that journey time is usually doubled.

I was thinking that a few days of using the friendly bus service would not be such a hardship and that it might even save me some money that would otherwise have been spent on fuel. Wrong! I have to use two buses (often driven by miserable people who get even more upset if you don't have exactly the right change), followed by a 20 minute walk to get to my office, costing a total of £4.20 and taking an hour and fifteen minutes! I have to get out of bed an hour earlier, spend several minutes at a time standing in rain, sleet or snow and I only just get there on time. :cuckoo:

Now, a 2.9 litre engine is not exactly economical and I put in about £50 of petrol every three weeks but if I was to travel to work by bus for three weeks, it would cost me 63 quid! Where's the incentive to use public transport then?! It's slow, it's expensive, it's not always totally convenient and you have to sit next to people who usually smell of wee. I miss my C so much... roll on Thursday evening!

Graham, 4-week bus ticket is £37! :wink: dunno where you got £63 from, unless you're buying singles everywhere :shock: :shock: Although I guess you might have to get buses out past the ring road (can't remember where you work mate, sorry!)

glad to see the arches are getting sorted, and stance is awesome on the wheels :D

I'm not sure of the name because I was just given the number of a guy there for a cash in hand job but it's on Staplehurst Farm in Weston on the Green. Bloomin' excellent work though. I'll find out and let you know... and put some pics up at the weekend after I've given her a wash.

Graham, 4-week bus ticket is £37!

I work in Abingdon Jon. So far as I can work out, a 4 week pass for me would be £70. Fortunately, my boss passes by me on the way in so I had a lift the last couple of days and only had to suffer the bus for a short time :clap:

£400 cash in hand for 3 arches, driver's door sill and a couple of bubbly patches, with fresh lacquer over the whole of each treated panel.

graham just love that car of yours and looking forward to seeing it at dco in april, always looks stunning :D