Sign in to follow this  
Rado_Raj

Re: Totally Stumped!!

Hi,

Please tell me if I'm being stupid, as this has got me totally confused! I have an early valver (Kr) without ABS.

Right, I put on a new set of front calipers yesterday (changed pads too). Picked up a set of 4 bleed valves for the calipers too from VW - as pervious owner had tried chewing the old pair!

After changing the calipers I also replaced the brake master cylinder. The brake fluid resevoir emptied whilst replacing the caliper-which made it a lot easier.

Didn't get a chance to bleed the system as the weather was typically British yesterday! But will def do it today.

What I'm confused about is this. I've read in a lot of places that you have to bleed the MC, but I don't have a clue how to or where from. As there was no bleed valve on the brake MC? I don't have an Ezi-bleed kit and will be bleeding the system the old fashion way!

I don't want to go through all this work and realise I've missed something out!

Any help and advice would be appreciated!

Cheers.

you shouldnt need the MC nipple as youll be able to bleed it all through the calipers alone.

chewed up bleed nipples would have been one of the prev owners before me, my apologies as i didnt notice them :)

Alrite mate!

So I guess I'm just going to have to sit in the car pumping the pedal like an ape then. Oh well, it could be worse!

Sorry mate I meant my rear bleed valves were nasty. Ones you sent were ok, but I just thought if I'm replacing the rears I mite as well do the whole lot!

Wish me luck. I will have legs like Linford Christie by the end of today!!

Alrite mate!

So I guess I'm just going to have to sit in the car pumping the pedal like an ape then. Oh well, it could be worse!

Sorry mate I meant my rear bleed valves were nasty. Ones you sent were ok, but I just thought if I'm replacing the rears I mite as well do the whole lot!

Wish me luck. I will have legs like Linford Christie by the end of today!!

thats ok, i should have checked them anyway but slipped my mind.

just bled my friends mk2 jetta yesterday, he doesnt have a bleed nipple on the MC (nor did my old mk2 scirocco) doing it through the calipers will be fine. easier with 2 people though :)

good luck

Mk2s don't have nipples on the MC afaik because they don't have a hydro clutch. My Jetta didn't.

it shouldnt make too much of a difference bleeding the brake though should it? just bleed the clutch first....