Sign in to follow this  
vr6dom

VR6 starter motor

VR6 has decided to give me some extra work :roll: Starter motor. Can't grubble too much though... it's done it's job for 13yrs! :)

So need a new OE Bosch Starter motor - has the VW part no. 02A 911 023 H stamped on it (may have been superceded now... anyone bored and with access to EKTA mind checking? :) )

As always like to keep everything OE. Since stealer item is also an exchange item and about £160 :eek: , does anyone know if the GSF or EuroCarParts ones' are identical refurbed Bosch items?

Any pointers on refitting I should be aware of? Do you apply a light coating of grease to the spindle or anything? The copper bush set in the housing looks like fun to remove! Once out (I'll try not to drop it in to the housing :wink: ) any pointers on fitting the new one? Does it just push straight in or does it require a gentle but firm shove? :norty:

TIA

Dom

I fitted one of these a few months back:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0250956872

No branding, but cheap enough and 1 yr warranty. No problems yet, I figured if it went wrong again I would get mine refurbed at a local place and send that back for refund. It didn't come with a new bush though.

I didn't bother with a GSF one as a brand wasn't listed and if unbranded it was unlikely to be any better than the above and ££ more.

Fitting is dead easy, just disconenct the wiring and unbolt and bolt the new one in.

Thanks was8v and Supercharged ... be making a few more calls tomorrow, eager to return her to her usual 100%

I'd make sure that the engine is supported underneath, as when I changed mine the engine dropped slightly. One of the bolts goes to engine mount and wouldn't "bite" as I tried to screw it back in. Had to jack up engine while trying to refit it, one of those jobs where you really need 3 hands :confused4:

I'd make sure that the engine is supported underneath, as when I changed mine the engine dropped slightly. One of the bolts goes to engine mount and wouldn't "bite" as I tried to screw it back in. Had to jack up engine while trying to refit it, one of those jobs where you really need 3 hands :confused4:

I have Nick, thanks, and sound advice. Always read your Bentley manual first :wink: Dealer method is to fit an engine support frame!