Sign in to follow this  
Andy91

Oil leak around head

Hi,

I can't see what the rules on posting in here are, not sure if non corrado posts are allowed, however its a 1.8 petrol Golf mkIII, and as they share the vr6 engine and maybe some others I thought it was pretty close? (the engine code for this car is either AAM, ANN, ABS, ADZ, ANP... but I've looked around and can't see what engine codes the Corrado has). If a problem can a mod please move to the 'general forum', if ok then I appreciate any help.

The car is a '94 with 100k on the clock, apart from the oil problem the car is brilliant, however all around the head gasket there is signs of oil that has leaked out and run a few inches down the block, it seems to be all the way around the block at the level where the head gasket goes, it's as though there is no gasket there at all and therefore no real seal. The oil is now covered in grit which I think has blown in from under the car etc. No signs of oil on the floor under the car. What oil there is left in the sump (below minimum) looks pretty clean and good (not new but not black and sooty). The car took one or two revs to start but I think its been stood two weeks, not terrible but not amazing.

I know its very weak info, and I don't expect any life saving advice on such a bad description but just wondered if anyone has come across this before or its a known problem.

Thanks - Andy

http://www.andy90.co.uk/100820081023.jpg

Hi mate, the AAM is the single point injection engine (75BHP) - look at the boot sticker or logbook for the code if you can't see it in the engine bay...

I have a feeling this will have a fibre headgasket as they changed to metal in 95 so it might need doing...

Other thing to check it the metal breather pipe from the plastic outlet on the block to the rubber cam cover pipe - might be blocked or that rubber Y piece might have collapsed...

This pipe is the one coming from the green clip next to the dipstick guide...

Hi,

I can't get the info as its near Bradford and I'm in Sheffield.

Both your suggestions sound like quite simple fix's (no complaints there!), any thoughts on worst case scenario?

Ah - just noticed your pic, don't panic - thats the cam cover gasket thats leaking not the HG

Unsurprising if it's original at 100k, cheap and easy to change!

051103483A = £10 from VW

Many thanks supercharged, think I will call him tomorrow and get it (providing he fixs the other problem on the window lol)

PS/bump - Also.... I have never pretended to be good with engines etc etc, but EVEN I KNOW that the spark plugs don't go into the sump lol.... I have no idea why I had it in my head that it was the head gasket. Please excuse me while I search for the most embarassed smilie I can find.