Sign in to follow this  
AB

et 15 on a vr

hi am i gonna have to much poke with a 9x16 et 15 on the vr corrado as the have a wider track than the valvers dont they?

my valver was fine with that et but not sure if it will work on the vr

and advice please

They will fit but arch work is needed as well as stretched tyres. I would advise a higher offset (30 for example) on the front as the rado suits the staggered look and looks gash with et15 up front as well.

Here is how mine was with et15 (9x16) rear with 215/40 stretched tyres and the arch lips cut. And fronts are et30 (9x16) with 3mm spacers (to clear spacers) with arch lips rolled:

sexual2.jpg

thanks mate see what you mean, thats exactly what i was worried of 2 much poke on the front,

stunning car what wheels are they?

They were Brock B2's but i had them sprayed a light gun metal colour with some special paint which really brightened up in the sunlight and they had a hint of purple to match the car. They are missed but i didnt like the ride on them and needed bigger brakes for supercharger etc so had to put my sensible head on :lol:

Couple more pics:

refurbed1.jpg

refurbed2.jpg

Shows the difference in light with the sun out!

refurbed3.jpg

refurbed4.jpg

great pics Rob !!!! :)

Cheers mate :D i wish it had looked like that when i came to see you, would have been some awesome pics of the 2 cars together :luvlove:

I gather you got rid of the rims?

Yeah, i got rid of them before i put my supercharger on as i needed bigger brakes and these only just cleared standard brakes with spacers AND with a bit of carrier shaving!! Plus having big wide heavy wheels with hardly any rubber on them wasn't doing wonders for the ride which would have been a big problem with an extra 70bhp through the wheels so i sold them and replaced with some nice lightweight BBS RX's which still look nice just not as mean, but they clear 288's and 312's so i can stop the thing which helps :lol:

I gather you got rid of the rims?

Yeah, i got rid of them before i put my supercharger on as i needed bigger brakes and these only just cleared standard brakes with spacers AND with a bit of carrier shaving!! Plus having big wide heavy wheels with hardly any rubber on them wasn't doing wonders for the ride which would have been a big problem with an extra 70bhp through the wheels so i sold them and replaced with some nice lightweight BBS RX's which still look nice just not as mean, but they clear 288's and 312's so i can stop the thing which helps :lol:

After a set of these myself from Dubmeister, are they plug and play as such - No need for spacers etc?

Erm... whats this about not liking the ride on them, was it just your setup or in general? Oh and what size are the wheels? both front and back, diameter and width?

Heres one i took of the same car back in April 2007 at santa pod spring fest

IMG_0193-1.jpg

Herisites, the 'VR6' badge on the front, which one is it? Is it one from a mk3 golf, a Passat one or a Corrado one? I ask because i put a mk3 golf BR6 badge on my grille and it looks too big. SOmeone on here was saying the actual corrado grille badge is the same size. But im sure ive seen a rado on here with a small VR6 badge - the Corrado OEM badge. Sorry if that sounds confusing, i was confused typing it :lol: Im just wondering if the there IS a smaller actually corrado VR badge.

I think the badge you are after is the later "highline" golf VR6 badge, its much smaller and sits between the grille slats and is like a rubberised lettering like the side moulding badges on a colour concept etc

I think the badge you are after is the later "highline" golf VR6 badge, its much smaller and sits between the grille slats and is like a rubberised lettering like the side moulding badges on a colour concept etc

aah, cheers buddy!

My VR6 badge is the standard late corrado one mate, not touched it, just took it off the standard grill and put it on the debadged grill.

As for the ride, there was nothing wrong with my setup as replaced all the bushes myself and have Weitec coilovers on. But generally 9" wide wheels that weigh quite a lot with stretched 40 profile tyres on are not going to do wonders for the ride. The tyres provide no cushion so bumps are very hard, and the weight/width/offset make them tramline, bump steer, torque steer you name it really as generally lighter is best for ride quality. Plus to get the desired look for these wheels you need to be running pretty low which looks awesoe but sadly means the wishbones are pointing up which means the wishbones and track rods are no longer moving in the right way and so cause a lot of bump steer etc.

My VR6 badge is the standard late corrado one mate, not touched it, just took it off the standard grill and put it on the debadged grill.

As for the ride, there was nothing wrong with my setup as replaced all the bushes myself and have Weitec coilovers on. But generally 9" wide wheels that weigh quite a lot with stretched 40 profile tyres on are not going to do wonders for the ride. The tyres provide no cushion so bumps are very hard, and the weight/width/offset make them tramline, bump steer, torque steer you name it really as generally lighter is best for ride quality. Plus to get the desired look for these wheels you need to be running pretty low which looks awesoe but sadly means the wishbones are pointing up which means the wishbones and track rods are no longer moving in the right way and so cause a lot of bump steer etc.

ha, thats my bubble burst. Was really keen on getting a set of them, not so keen now.

ha, thats my bubble burst. Was really keen on getting a set of them, not so keen now.

Depends on what you are after tbh, i may be exagerating a bit as some people find it fine on big wheels. Depends on what you want really, if you want it to look good then you put up with a bit of an uncomfortable ride (or try for a comprimise by having smaller wheels on the front like 7.5" with 195/45's for example, lighter/thinner wheels up front where it matters would make a nicer ride) but if like me you want silly power and so therefore a ride thats pretty straight and true then looks have to go out the window a bit. Plus it does depend on the setup, if you have nice comfortable suspension and new bushes all round etc then it would be a bit nicer, i find my Weitecs a bit crashy even on the standard speedies at the minute (got a drill bit through a tyre on my RX's :bad-words:).

Tbh i am a fussy bugger, i am trying to get a corrado to be a nice drive but at the end of the day with an old chassic and almost 30 year old suspension design now its not going to ride like a modern car is. Alas i am still going to do as much as possible, bushes and suspension is alright now, so its new tyres on the RX's as low tread as well as low profile can affect ride badly. Then its adjustable top mounts to add some caster to make it more stable in a straight line and stiffen up the chassis with ARB's and strut braces etc.

Well what i want is a set of 16s (diameter), i also want them staggered. So would 9s on the rear and 7.5s on the front be ok? Or is that what you are saying are uncomfortable?

It gets used daily and i want a compromise hence going for the 16s as opposed to 17s, just not sure on what width.

Yeah if you want staggered then you want 9" rear an 7.5" fronts which would give the desired look but also not ruin the ride as the front wheels which do the driving and steering would have the lighter thinner wheels on.

The reason i had 9's up front as well is because a) they were available at the right price at the right time and b) i wasnt keen on the look of the Brocks in 7.5" as the dish was too small.

I like my 9`s all round, i do get a bit of tramlining but thats more to do with the tyre width than rim width :D also get a bit of torque steer but nothing bad, it also handles like a dream

And can the 9" rears fit ok on the back with between a -60 and -40mm drop, with out stretch tyres. Or are the stretch tyres a must?

What would be a nice stretch on the 9" rear and 7.5" fronts?