Sign in to follow this  
AB

et 15 on a vr

I like my 9`s all round, i do get a bit of tramlining but thats more to do with the tyre width than rim width :D also get a bit of torque steer but nothing bad, it also handles like a dream

Yeah its nothing drastic on every day driving, but push an extra 80-100bhp through the front wheels and it becomes unbearable!

And yeah i miss the way it handled on them, the car was PLANTED, especially on high speed bends! 8)

And can the 9" rears fit ok on the back with between a -60 and -40mm drop, with out stretch tyres. Or are the stretch tyres a must?

What would be a nice stretch on the 9" rear and 7.5" fronts?

Tbh if you are going for 9" wide wheels with a low offset like mine were, if you aren't low enough it will look like a beach buggy. I put my brocks on when it was originally dropped 40mm and it didnt look good really, looked clumsy almost :lol: but dropped a bit more and it looked much much better and very aggressive 8)

Stretch tyres aren't a must if you have a higher offset so the wheels sit in the arch further, in which case clearance of the arches isn't as much of a problem so you can get away with bigger tyres. However if running wide wheels like 9's too far under the arches you then have to worry about clearance with the suspension.

If going for a stretch though i had 215/40's on mine which wasn't a drastic stretch but looked cool and did help with clearance. But remember though that tyre widths differ throughout different brands of tyres so whats 205 on a set of toyo's for example could be the equivilant of a 215 on a michelin etc. And the 40 stands for 40% of the tyre width as well not 40mm as some people think :lol: So that also comes in to play when choosing tyre sizes.

And as for the front i think the general selection of tyre size for 7.5's is 195/45 which just has a slight stretch.

yeah i have 215 40 continentals sport contact 2`s front and rear, they have a small stretch/slant on the tyre walls but nothing mad, like you say from the rear of mine looks a bit beach buggy at the minute :lol: , that will change over the next couple of days though :grin: soon as its dropped on the KW`s its gonna look mean afaik :wink: the 215 footprint really does give you some superb grip in bends, dangerously so! as it makes it tempting to push it that bit harder/faster :lol:

dunno how far i can drop it on the 9`s at the front though :shrug: rears should be an easy 50mm maybe 60mm as the arches are rolled already, maybe squeeze 50mm :shrug: on the front but will defo go 40mm easy, gonna have to see how it drives/looks and experiment, thats why coilovers are so handy when it comes to looks and clearance, especially on wide low off set rimmage :grin: if i can run lower i will :grin: its not really a daily driven car but it is my "sensible" family saloon so wont go too mad! soon as its done i will get some pics of mine up, may also do a "photo diary" on suspension removal and coilover fitting onto an early car for the wiki