Sign in to follow this  
rolsg60

The Elusive G60

Ive been looking for a g60 now for about a month.

Have about 3k to spend on one, looking for a standard one with full history and less than 100k on the clock( any colour except white).

Cant seem to find a decent one anywhere, should i be looking to pay more or am i looking in the wrong places ?

have tried autotrader, exchange and mart etc ?

cheers for the help

rolsg60 :D

Buying a good std G60 with history etc is pretty similar to buying a winning lottery ticket. Especially when you consider the youngest one is going to be ten years old.

It would be better to find one with a good straight body and forgive the mileage/sensible modifications. Also, you need to see evidence of a rebuild on the charger. Even with full history at 100K it'll need inspecting, if not rebuilding, mine did and it was need a paperweight.

Your 3K minter could quickly turn into a 3K money pit.

If there is no bills or the fella says yeah it's been done. You could check the charger timing belt, if it's been done the belt will nearly cover the width of the pulleys, if it doesn't it'll be a std belt and no rebuilder I have heard of, uses original belts. You will need a 5mm allen key to take the little cover off.

I think you may need to widen your search. Look at Cs all over the country. Someone on the forum may be able to do an initial check for you, before you do 100s of miles for nothing. If you are doing a search of 40 miles there may be something 60 miles away? Don't forget to ruthless chipping at the price. Unrebuilt chargers could be useless and still make reasonable boost? That can be checked with the MFA.

I always like to see 4 tyres the same on a car. Not remoulds but ones you have heard of. 4 slicks/different brands, makes me wonder where else money has been saved???

Don't give up!

Gavin

Dont want to put a downer on your plans, but if i had a G60 with less than 100k and full service history, id want more than 3k for it, cos people will pay it... :?

it is nice to buy a G60 with full history and less than 100k. i did around 3 yrs ago. problem is you are coming up to the replace parts milage bracket. its cost me a arm replacing 100k old parts. often a car with 120k on it will have had lots of the bits replaced, like i have now.

bits i can think of.

clutch master

clutch slave.

full suspension,

top mounts

front brakes,

fog lamp

rear wheel bearings.

oil pump

oil pressure switch(2bar)

brake pressure accumulator.

O2 probe

blue temp.

vac hoses.

fuel line from end of rail.

rad hose.

hose connector.

headlamp switchx2

lots of door handles.

alarm system.

plus mods.

a near 100k C is i think just as much a money pit as a 120k if not more.

Thank for the info guys.

What should i be looking for within that price range then ? ie in terms of mileage history etc ? :?

I was expecting to have the charger rebuilt on top of this price.

Plus a few other mods as well, so basically i was looking for a sound car with history that i could mod to the spec i wanted :D

thanks for the help

id look for a good charger even though you plan a rebuild. look for a max of 3 yrs since last build.

look for under 150k. listen to engine and check the usuals smoke. excessive oil/smoke from oil filler cap. check exhause for signs of rich running. have a good lookm at the engine bay wiring for wear or brittle stuff a sign of problems to come/already there. do a compression test if you wanna be thorough

lots have broken sunroofs, spoiler maybe. peeps say avoid this sort of thing but id think its a good bargaining point. after all its not always neglect that breaks things esp suroof and spoiler. maybe not the cheapest repair but that can be subtracted from the car cost.

most important thing: clean body.

make sure its straight. no rust at all. knock on the rear quarters to make sure they weren't bondo-ed up.

all the mechanical parts are somewhat easy to replace if you have some patience (its just an 8v a2 with a supercharger really)... but its the bodywork that nags if its lacking. expensive and time consuming to tear a car down for paint!

good luck in the search. :D

I started searching for my G60 in August, and eventually found a minter in October.

The first one I saw was 3k and it was an absolute shed, put me off corrado's for abit!

In the end I realise I was gonna have to pay around 4-4500 for a mint '92 G60 with history/charger history.

I also saw a few forecourt g60's at 5k, some of them were shocking(peeling laquer, dodgy electrics/alarms) watchout!

The one I bought started off at 5k, and I would of paid it cos I was getting desperate and it was very clean. Paid £4500 in the end!

Good luck !