Sign in to follow this  
APPLECORE

DRIVERS DOOR REMOVAL

can anyone give me a few tips/pointers on how to change a drivers door ,i bought a door off flleebay as mine had no electric motor for window and glass was all scratched . have done the easy bit [the door card is off] and have disconnected all wires to speaker/mirrors etc. could use a little help with centre looking mechanism. thanx in advance :D

Hi there,

did you have any joy?

I am in the same predicament. My drivers door has various rust patches and I have purchased another one from ebay. Problem is the door I purchased is completlely hollow, every single screw has been removed (not that I am entirely bothered by that as only paid 99p for an otherwise perfect replacement).

Looked around for guides but not had luck finding one. Please please can someone push me in the right direction as I want to restore my rado to its near factory condition........

Thanks

Wowsers, thread revival!

As you can see from my avatar, I did this quite recently. ------------>

OK, so you have the door card off and the switches removed/unplugged.

Mirror

Fold mirror in. A screw will be exposed. Unscrew it. You may need to WD40 it. Fold mirror out. Another screw will be exposed. Do the same and the mirror will now come off. There is a plastic seal between it and the door. Keep.

Inner door handle

Next, unhook the metal rod that connects the door handle to the latch/lock. To remove the inside door handle, there is a little tab on the underside that you need to press in with a flat blade screwdriver. Then push the handle towards the rear of the car and it should come off.

Outer Door handle:

Just above the lock on the end of the door is a screw/nut that holds the outside door handle on. It will be a reverse thread, in other words turn right to unscrew. Pull the door handle by the lock end first, it should slide out of its hole, then twist 90 degrees to remove the other end. There is a small bit of plastic that helps this end to sit properly, do not lose this. The handle also has its own loom, make sure this is unplugged. It hooks onto part of the door where the male/female bits connect.

Lock/latch.

There will be a metal rod going into the bottom of the lock, this is from the central locking (a small white plastic doodad). Unhook it. You can either take it off at the lock or at the c/l pump. Now remove the lock cover (if you have one) and unscrew the two big screws. It should now pull out. There is a bolt that faces outwards on the lock, this is for free play adjustment when you put it back on with the rods to the pin/handle/ c/l pump. It will also be reverse thread.

Central Locking pump.

Two screws about half way up the door hold this puppy in. Unscrew them (partially) and remove.

Door

Two fat bolts on the hinge. Probably best to wind down the window to give you something to grab on to as its coming loose. Or get a friend to hold it, its quite heavy. When replacing, get the same friend to hold the door as you put the bolts back in. Then make him a cup of tea. Unfortunately the day I did it I was home alone so used a couple of bricks and some foam to rest it on and it took me about 20 mins of choice swearing to get it on. Not recommended.

I dunno about changing the glass or the window mechanism as I didn't have to do this, but I think you have to drill out rivets to remove the mech. The glass is taken out with the window down iirc.

After you have put everything back on, BEFORE you put the membrane and door card back on, test the windows to see that they are not fouling any of the wires, especially the door handle loom. Guess how I learned that one. :D Also check to see the central locking works properly.

Hope that helps.

"THE DUDE"

Thank you ever so much, I would go as far as saying you are amazing as I didnt want to just dive in and see where I ended up.

gona get cracking with this tommorow hopefully it will all just slot into (or in this case out of) place

Thanks again

No sweat. You may have to do it in a slightly different order, but that's the main gist of it. Drop me a PM if you get stuck.

Does anyone know if you can adjust the door ?

Its just that mine looks like it has dropped slightly which is making it difficult to close.

Any help much appriciated :)

You can shim the top door-hinge forward which will raise the back of the door, if the door strike pins are shagged they aren't too expensive from the Stealers and finish it off nicely!