Sign in to follow this  
webbie

Coolant Issues VR6

I have two problems with my VR6.

1. The header tank pressure value keeps going off when hot. Is this normal as the warning light comes on to say it's low only a week after last topping up? If not any ideas? I have replaced the header tank, cap and rad.

2. The auxillery coolant pump intermittantly starts when i turn the car off (engine off). I have been told that this should not happen and until recently had never heard it running. I have taken it to an auto electician but typical the fault did not happen for him, has anyone had this fault or have any ideas?

I don't really want to drive it as i don't know the consequences. Please help!!!!

Depending on the age of the car, the auxilliary pump should run on if the coolant is above a certain temp, or should run on for 10 minutes. If yours is a late car with 3 fuses on the fan control unit, it will only run on above a certain temperature.

Sounds like you have a cooling system problem causing the coolant loss though.

Have a look in here....

It's a 95 if that helps and i have read about the issue when it hits a certain temp but it happens sometimes when i have driven it 5 miles to work and the oil has only got up to about 95 degrees and water at normal temp.

As for the water issue any ideas how to fault find. i dont mind having a go but i'm no machanic by any means?

Thanks

What coolant mix are you running??

Is the system working as it should - ie water and oil showing temp in around 5-8 mins driving, thermostat opening and allowing water in to the rad and (both) fan(s) cutting in and out to keep the temp at 90c (mid gauge)

dont really know...

if this is the type of coolant then it's one from halfords summer coolant and anti freeze

Hmm - it really is important that you use the correct stuff in a VR, I know of several engines that have been written off becuase the wrong type of coolant has been used!

Do you know what proportion you are running to water??

i followed the instructions on the bottle for summer use ( not that there is a summer ).

sorry :confused4:

What type would you recommend for when it does get fixed?