Sign in to follow this  
rodenal

Fuel Filter 1, Rodenal 0

Right, decided to change the fuel filter on my 16v tonight

It's been done before (but a long time ago by the looks of it) and is now held on only by cable ties, so the filter itself is dead easy to get down.

BUT

can i get the bolts off, can i hell. The problem is i cant get any real leverage on them as the filter is obviously still attached to the car and there's nothing to secure it to to give me some push, if that makes any sense.

Tried spraying some wd40 on and leaving for a while but hasnt helped

any tips?

Yeah it's a nightmare, an extra pair of hands would probably help but it'd be hard to get somebody under the car to get a good grip of the other side.

Good call, although there was that incident with the monkey......

ok this isn't helping lol, i'm a bit stumped as to how i'm gonna get this off without wrecking anything, i'm gonna wait till the weekend and have another crack - but logic will give way to sheer brute force at some point and it'll end in tears no doubt.

Yeah, you must be carefull not to damage / twist the plastic lines...

Best wait as you say, keeping the filter steady is key to being able to crack the banjo bolts off...

Maybe get someone with large waterpump pliers or an oil filter tool to hold it?

Oil filter tool might be worth a try i've got one somewhere, i can see there being problems after getting the first banjo bolt off.

Better get a bigger bar lol

Use a trolley jack with the filter wrapped in a rubber mat or similar to prevent crushing and slippage,

Raise jack up so it holds the filter against the underbody of the car , use spanner on the actual fuel filter to stop it rotating.