Sign in to follow this  
colinstubbs

Modding late sunroof motor to fit early frame

You don't have to be mad but it may help!

I wanted the one touch functionality of the later sunroof buttons and the nicer panel but found the plugs were different so needed a later motor :mad2:, I then found the later motor fouled on the early frame, Doh! :p

Simple option would have been to change the frame to a later one, but that runs the risk of buying a dog that breaks once swapped! :nono:

So, having faith in my current sunroof (watch this space!! :cuckoo: ) i opted for modding the motor, which in the end was quite simple although admittedly a bit of a risk as I was unable to dismantle the motor at that end to see what was under the metal to be removed.

As it turned out there was just a bit of white plastic and a black rubber bush(?). Suffice to say I can see no reason for the cutting of the plastic to impair to function of the motor which now offers up to the frame perfectly although the spacer plate is not required due to the relative drive-gear height compared to the early motor.

Just hope the motor works okay now! I think I've sussed the wiring out, I'll let you know if it all works or not!!!! :lol:

I'm sure this will probably help someone - it could be turned into a Wiki article maybe?

What exactly is required for that then VR6? I should be able to sort something :D

Could do with some better pics but i can always 'whip it out' and snap some more. :camp: :lol:

Well I guess it needs to be a complete 'how to' with a happy ending :norty:. If you think it does that, we can add it to the Wiki - there's a couple of forums specifically for Wiki articles ...