Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Bouncy suspension

I had some Vmaxx coilovers fitted last week and the car is dropped a fair amount, but not massively, i still have a good 40-50mm on the rear to go. Anyway, oddly the rear suspension feels very bouncy, i was expecting a firm maybe crashy ride, that i wouldnt have minded, but mines just bouncy. Every little bump in the road feels like a massive speedbump, almost the suspension is slow to react.

Anyone got any idea what might be causing this? Or have a simply just bought a poor suspension setup?

Crap dampers, mismatched spring and damping rates or mischevious squirrels.

I'd go with the latter....

Probably this one!

2814012147_d1d53047e3.jpg

Spotted on top of the massive tree on our side of the site!

I saw that cock wandering around. I'd have found a stick and tried to beat him out of the tree if I'd noticed him...

I saw that cock wandering around. I'd have found a stick and tried to beat him out of the tree if I'd noticed him...

Was nicknamed "Ambulace boy" just for the fact we were all sure that's where he'd end up! :gag:

Bit of a loon but live and let live mate... (unless he wander's on your farmland that is! ;) )

Bit of a loon but live and let live mate... (unless he wander's on your farmland that is! ;) )

Reasonable Toad is on holiday, grumpy Toad will reply to your message soon. *Beep*

Bought a full/complete Vmaxx suspension set, so i'd be pretty disappointed if this was the case from the word go (the crap dampers, not the squirrels thing)

Who are Vmmax? I bought some Hot Tuning ones off ebay for my Passat and they were pretty bouncy too. Not a problem in the 'sat but I wouldn't want them on the Rado.

Nick

Saw your car weekend Skinny (looked good btw) but didnt get a chance to meet you. Mind you i was looking for Al Murray which is probably why i couldnt find you :roll: :lol:

Bought a full/complete Vmaxx suspension set, so i'd be pretty disappointed if this was the case from the word go (the crap dampers, not the squirrels thing)

Lol.

Have a snuffle under the back to make sure they aren't leaking yet, I assume the dampers are non adjustable? I'd heard the hottuning ones were as hard as a very hard thing sat on diamonds.

Dunno otherwise. :(

The Hot Tuning ones seem to vary. My mate had some on a MKII Golf and they were rock solid, but my ones on the 'sat are quite bouncy. For deckin gon a budget they're hard to beat but if I ever want coilies on the Rado I'm going to invest in some that are height and dampening adjustable.

Nick

They are height adjustable, but not damping adjustable, so it looks like they'll remain bouncy, balls.

Its pretty bad on certain roads, i went over a hump in the M1 coming back from edition and actually smacked my head on the roof

I can make my FK Konigsports bouncy as hell if i set the damping to a softer setting, thats why its good to have the adjustability in them even if people say how many times do you adjust them or you never go on a track, well maybe so but at least i know i can set them up for my driving on my roads for how i like it from the word go.

Also why people say spend as much as you can, which is not an issue in your book Skinny as you bought them knowing you would eventually change.

The Vmaxx ones really were a case of "they'll do for now", i wanted to spend more, didnt have the money to hand, so bought the cheapest possible coilovers i could get.

Slightly gutted with the ride quality to be honest, but i'll get used to it, i dont mind bumpy/crashy, its bouncy that pisses me off.

I think when they get replaced next year i'll be test driving/passenger riding in a few other rados first, to get the best ones available

There is also alot more to the ride than just suspension choice, so try to get rides in similar set ups with wheels tyre size etc. Roll bars, you get the idea.

Im thinking that possibly some new rear bushes might help out too, i used all new top mounts and fixtures when i had the coilovers done, but nothing else. I just want to tighten up the whole feel of the thing, i will admit that it takes corners very well in comparison to before, but the handling in my mum's focus is still far better

Are you sure its bouncy and not just over hard? When i first had my FK's fitted the rears were set on their hardest setting which made the back of the car bounce like hell....... Have you tried bouncing the back of the car with your hand? My FK's are so hard that even on the softest setting you cant really move the back of it by hand.

As for the handling, have you had a full suspension geometry set up done since the coilovers were fitted. The car should handle much better than a focus, but if the geometry has not been set it will handle like a bag of bolts. And you need a full set up, not just tracking.... Any good quality car repair place should have a full jig, will probably cost you between £50 and 80... But it is vital if you have new suspension.

Mark

Are you sure its bouncy and not just over hard? When i first had my FK's fitted the rears were set on their hardest setting which made the back of the car bounce like hell....... Have you tried bouncing the back of the car with your hand? My FK's are so hard that even on the softest setting you cant really move the back of it by hand.

As for the handling, have you had a full suspension geometry set up done since the coilovers were fitted. The car should handle much better than a focus, but if the geometry has not been set it will handle like a bag of bolts. And you need a full set up, not just tracking.... Any good quality car repair place should have a full jig, will probably cost you between £50 and 80... But it is vital if you have new suspension.

Mark

I was just going to get the tracking done, but with this in mind i might get a full setup done as at the minute the suspension is really getting me down about the whole car.