Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Correct sound system setting

Is there anywhere in the midlands where i can take my sound system to be set up 'correctly'.

Im running some Hertz Hi-energy components up front in audioscape doorpods:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/hertz-h ... 4f68a080b2

Powered by a 2 channel Eton amplifier:

http://www.etongmbh.com/

Running off a pretty expensive Blaupunkt headunit.

The speakers cost me £220, the amp was £300, the headunit was £250, the doorpods were £120, and i spent a further £120 on quality cables and sound deadening, so im rather upset by the fact that my mates standard mk4 golf system sounds better than mine.

After listening to come systems around the show over the weekend im beginning to think that mine just needs setting up correctly, like the settings on the amp and headunit etc, because ive certainly not skimped on materials or equipment.

So, does anyone know of anywhere (or anyone) that could do this for me?

Just setting up those will make it sound better but not massively and are more suited to them be set up for your personal preference, which will never ever be set up "correctly" as no such thing exists.

But if you do want it set up to play perfectly which is not always a good sound as in perfectly is perfectly flat, all frequencies are at the same volume then you need to invest in an EQ, but this will also give you more adjustment to set it up to your preference.

Basically sound is a very personal thing to you how you like it to sound Chris.

So yes by spending a fortune on stuff will mean a better "sound" it does not always mean its a better sound for you.

Hope all this makes sense.

I spent 4k on my system and i get in some cars with factory stuff and im like, i like that sound i wish mine was like that, but as soon as the volume starts getting turned up im like cringing and going turn it down, although it sounds reasonably loud and bassy, [mid bass], i can hear all the distortion in the sound now when i turn mine up it just keeps on going up and up louder and louder and seems to almost get more precise and clear, but the 1 thing thats always missing is the mid bass, which is very hard to reproduce as good as factory when its played on a modestly loud volume.

Ah, it might be worth popping over to them sometime.

I think i need to invest in a sub and amp setup too, at the minute i've got the 6.5" front setup trying to do everything, so bass and volume cannot be achieved.

I think that an eton amp and sub will probably end up a little winter project, i love my tunes.

I can highly reccomend the guys there, i have been using them for years now, service and after sales is second to none, the site might not be the flashiest about but a flashy site does not mean a top job company. Def look into another amp and a sub, no need to go large, 1 8" would suffice to give tight punchy controlled bass to add the depth to the music which you are lacking, also tweeter position makes a huge difference to the overall sound stage.

Quality installation is everything in producing a superior sound.

Second that, installation is the key when getting the best sound. Sound deaden the doors, cure any rattles etc.

Setting up wise firstly make sure your gains are set correctly by setting your headunit to about 3/4 of the max volume and slowly turn the gains up until you can hear distortion or clipping and set your headunit to flat i.e. bass and treble to flat level. I recently got my system set up professionally by a really good bunch of guys down Liquid Ice whilst it sounded good it wasn't to my taste so I tweaked further and I think I have found the sweet spot to my ears. So what sounds good to one person might not sound good to another thats why I always find it best to play with it yourself.

I spent a small fortune on sound deadening, got some top quality stuff and the door got two layers, and ive got some sound baffles at the rear of the speakers too.

To be honest im amazed by the lack of rattles, at normal playing volume i can proper feel the bass on my legs, and the rear mirror shakes, and yet there is not a single rattle or squeek anywhere, bloody good on an 18yr old car!

Anyway, i have the tweeters mounted on the dashboard, where the original tiny speakers were, have some little pods made so they fit behind the standard grilles there.

I mainly listen to house music, so i am thinking of getting a 10 possibly 12" sub, sealed though. I really just want a sub and the two amps in the boot, i think i'll be better off then when i have the full range of speakers so to speak, so the mids arent trying to do everything.

Cheers for the help so far guys, i just love my tunes too much to leave my stereo at a sub par level, needs taking up a notch

If you want to pop over the Leicester sometime I could have a go at setting it up. A lot depends on what you like to listen to anyway. A sub should certainly help, but again, what sub depends on what type of sound you want - drum and bassy get a 12" - rock, get a 10" for that punch!

I have a JL Audio w3 12" but i want a smaller sub, dude.

I have 1 Dynamat Extreme bulk kit, [9 sheets] split between the doors, which makes it triple layered on door skin and frame, Focal Plain chant behind the speakers, then 1 bulk kit dynamat extreme single layered on the boot floor and sides, under rear seats.

My component driver needs mounting more sturdier in the pods and the tweeters need to go in the A pillar not the original dash grilles.